reputable custom rifle sales man/company?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by gilmillan1, Apr 15, 2013.

1. gilmillan1

gilmillan1 Well-Known Member

I am at the point where I have decided to get a custom rifle.

Can anyone please give me a list of some reputable gunsmiths or companies?

Thank you.

2. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

On the main forum page, if you go down to where you see the sponsors forum, there are a lot of good gunsmiths on this very site.

3. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

What type of rifle?

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Your location might be a factor as well.

5. gilmillan1

I am from south Texas, and I was interested on getting a 300 win mag or a 6.5x284. I wanted the 300for shots over 700 yards on deer and the 6.5 for anything closer. I currently have a 270 win and a 243.

6. sinarms

sinarms Well-Known Member

There are a lot of great places to get rifles built, it is nice when you can talk to the smith so you full understand what they are telling you and they know exactly what you want.

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with a smith in TX. But will give my recommendations from the Smith on this site I have used or shot their rifles.

My new build is coming from Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge in Idaho. I have met and shot with Shawn on a few occasions and we think and shoot alike. Every rifle I have ever seen that DE built was a top end shooter.

I also have had the pleasure to shoot a rifle built by Kevin Cram of Montour County rifles. The fit and finish was excellent and the rifle shot very well too.

Kirby Allen from Allen Precision rifles in Fort Shaw Montana also builds very nice rifles. He would also be a top contender for a long range rig.

Know going in to this that these guys stay busy for a reason. They are among the top rifle builders in the US. So if you want a rifle in a hurry I doubt it would happen with these guys. But they are reliable, here for the future, and you will get a fine rifle in the end.

There are other builder too that can fill the bill from this site. These are just the first I would consider as I have used their products.

Jeff

8. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Also, the owner of the site, Len, has a custom rifle business. If you go near the top to the menu bar, you will see Long Range Rifles. Click on that and he is showing 4-6 weeks for a 6.5x284 and 300 WM.

9. aramarine6

aramarine6 Well-Known Member

GA precision has my vote. After the customer service and product I got from them. I'll never go anywhere else. Good luck with your build.

10. gilmillan1

What does GA stand for?

11. aramarine6

aramarine6 Well-Known Member

Gnat's Ass. No joke. I'd never heard of them until I read the book "American Sniper" by the late SEAL sniper Chris Kyle. He recommended them in his book so I gave them a call and my experience was awesome. I've talked with multiple different guys over there and they are all very professional, helpful, and knowledgable.

12. tcob68

tcob68 Well-Known Member

Jon Beanland in the sw corner of Oklahoma is a great custom builder and a very nice guy. Just google Beanland custom rifles and you will find his web site. His rifles really shoot!

13. Timnterra

Timnterra Well-Known Member

I don't know how far south you are but I know an ex marine who is now a gunsmith in west texas and he specializes in custom long range rifles. I have personally fired one of his 338 edge rifles and a 6.5-47lapua and both were amazing rifles. His name is Clayton Smith and his web page is West Texas Ordnance Inc. - Home
    Hope this helps Tim

14. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Tim, would you know if Clayton use to Drag race a Pro-Mod car?

Thanks
    Jeff