Removing a glued on recoil pad

TBuckus

I just obtained an older model 70 with a bell and Carlson stock on it. The pad is rock hard. I'm assuming it's hardened up over the years.
What is the easiest way to remove it? All the pads that I've replaced have been screwed on.

Sometimes heat will work. But it can be a bit tricky, is very time consuming and doesn't alway produce the results you want.
Carefully cutting the pad off very close to the stock, scraping carefully down to the pad/butt union and applying a solvent (lacquer thinner, or anything that is a suitable solvent for the type of glue used) - make sure it's out of doors and a long way from any heat source - can sometimes loosen them up.
Sometimes pads that are mounted with screws have the screws concealed under the pad's surface (pad expands to install them and shrinks back over them) so be sure to look carefully at how its mounted.
When push comes to shove, trimming the stock ever so slightly and taking a tiny bit of wood may be your only alternative.

Assuming you've verified there's no screws, you can gently tap around the glue joint with a wide SHARP wood chisel. I've take a number of them off this way with pretty much no visible damage to the stock.

Oldfortyfive seems to have a good idea. I do a little wood working, so I can see how that might work.

Also, could take a very sharp exacto knife and slowly slice away from the stock. One of the Havalon knives with the thin surgical blade might work also. You could also take a head gun to the glue junction and see if it loosens it up some.

Assuming you've verified there's no screws, you can gently tap around the glue joint with a wide SHARP wood chisel. I've take a number of them off this way with pretty much no visible damage to the stock.

Never tried that but with the stock secured and careful management of the chisel I think it would work fine. Thanks for the tip ...............:)

Well I got the pad off reasonably easy.
I called B&C just to see what they recommended and to compare it to everyone's tips. They said to freeze the stock for 24 hrs and then try to tap and pry it off.
My pad was not screwed down, just glued.
After taking it out of the freezer, I tried scoring it with a utility knife. It was difficult in some areas. It wanted to drift onto the stock.
I used a wide wood chisel, about 1-1/2", to gently tap on the joint. It popped free pretty easily and I just worked my way around the stock, using a second chisel to hold a gap open.
The only issue I had was a small piece of stock came off with the pad at the top. It won't be a problem filling it in when I glue a new pad on. Maybe if I chiseled it from the top, instead of prying from the bottom, it wouldn't have done that.
Now off to find a new pad.......

Well I got the pad off reasonably easy.
I called B&C just to see what they recommended and to compare it to everyone's tips. They said to freeze the stock for 24 hrs and then try to tap and pry it off.
My pad was not screwed down, just glued.
After taking it out of the freezer, I tried scoring it with a utility knife. It was difficult in some areas. It wanted to drift onto the stock.
I used a wide wood chisel, about 1-1/2", to gently tap on the joint. It popped free pretty easily and I just worked my way around the stock, using a second chisel to hold a gap open.
The only issue I had was a small piece of stock came off with the pad at the top. It won't be a problem filling it in when I glue a new pad on. Maybe if I chiseled it from the top, instead of prying from the bottom, it wouldn't have done that.
Now off to find a new pad.......

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.