Remington700 2stage trigger recommendation

archanfire

Hello all, I hope you are are all well. I recently ordered a new 700 Long Range through my LGS. Upon arrival/inspection, the store owner found the factory installed Timney Impact trigger was defective. He contacted Timney, explained the situation and the guy told him they would either replace it, or upgrade it as it was "unacceptable"(Timney's words). The store owner called me, asked what I wanted to do and I told him I was planning to go 2stage anyway, so see what could be worked out on one of their Calvin triggers. The store owner tried calling Timney back multiple times, but just got voicemail. Honestly, we both were only expecting the value of the Impact trigger off of the cost of the Calvin(and I pay the difference), but maybe Timney would surprise us. The store owner just got off the phone with the same guy he spoke with at Timney and he said he would replace the Impact trigger with a new one, but since we didn't get the trigger directly from Timney, they would only do 10% off any other trigger. The Timney rep followed up saying the broken trigger had "no value to them" so we could do what we wanted. My LGS can get a Timney 2-stage cheaper than their 10% off offer and is willing to sell me it at cost, but now having a bad taste in my mouth I'm trying to stay away from Timney and looking for recommendations on other brands.

Sorry for they story, but I figured some would wonder why Timney is off the table. As always, Thanks for your time and recommendations!

Tough to beat a Trigger Tech in my opinion. Plus their customer service is phenomenal. I had a primer pop in an AR and the cup wedged itself into the bottom of the receiver. Attempting to get the trigger out to remove it, I ended up breaking one of the tabs. Called Trigger Tech and explained what I had done, taking full responsibility for the breakage and requested to send it in for repair. They ended up sending me a new unit on their dime. Certainly earned some repeat business with that!

Hello all, I hope you are are all well. I recently ordered a new 700 Long Range through my LGS. Upon arrival/inspection, the store owner found the factory installed Timney Impact trigger was defective. He contacted Timney, explained the situation and the guy told him they would either replace it, or upgrade it as it was "unacceptable"(Timney's words). The store owner called me, asked what I wanted to do and I told him I was planning to go 2stage anyway, so see what could be worked out on one of their Calvin triggers. The store owner tried calling Timney back multiple times, but just got voicemail. Honestly, we both were only expecting the value of the Impact trigger off of the cost of the Calvin(and I pay the difference), but maybe Timney would surprise us. The store owner just got off the phone with the same guy he spoke with at Timney and he said he would replace the Impact trigger with a new one, but since we didn't get the trigger directly from Timney, they would only do 10% off any other trigger. The Timney rep followed up saying the broken trigger had "no value to them" so we could do what we wanted. My LGS can get a Timney 2-stage cheaper than their 10% off offer and is willing to sell me it at cost, but now having a bad taste in my mouth I'm trying to stay away from Timney and looking for recommendations on other brands.

Sorry for they story, but I figured some would wonder why Timney is off the table. As always, Thanks for your time and recommendations!
Bummer! I am very pleased with my Timney CE for 5+ years without any issues.

Tough to beat a Trigger Tech in my opinion. Plus their customer service is phenomenal. I had a primer pop in an AR and the cup wedged itself into the bottom of the receiver. Attempting to get the trigger out to remove it, I ended up breaking one of the tabs. Called Trigger Tech and explained what I had done, taking full responsibility for the breakage and requested to send it in for repair. They ended up sending me a new unit on their dime. Certainly earned some repeat business with that!
Thanks for sharing your experience. Building a solid product is one thing, but if you stand behind the random defective one with good CS, then it's not much. The best warranty is the one you don't have to use, but feces occurs😋

Thanks for sharing your experience. Building a solid product is one thing, but if you stand behind the random defective one with good CS, then it's not much. The best warranty is the one you don't have to use, but feces occurs😋
Absolutely. I felt they went well above and beyond what I would have expected given it what my own doing that caused the breakage. I was hoping to simply get a repair order started and pay the price to fix out of pocket, but they even covered the "defective user" on their product!

Pass on the Timney ...JUNK.

For the Bentley of 2 stage trigger groups, look no further than a Bix N Andy.
Bix N Andy offers the Competition (adj lever) or Tac Sport (w/ safety/bolt release) in 2 stage variances.
$350 -$450 USD

A Trigger Tech 2 stage is in the $250 USD range.

A Tubb T7T is ...MIM'd JUNK.

A Geissele Super 700 is a 50/50 2 stage.

Flavio Fare is a non adjustable 2 stage.

Bolt Handle Primary Extraction TIMING & Striker to Sear Hand Off TIMING greatly improves any Remington 2 lug action.
Thanks for the info! I wasn't even aware Geissele made a trigger for them😳.

I wanted to update this situation. My LGS had sent the defective Timney back to them for the replacement the rep agreed to. We figured I would go ahead and purchase a 2-stage and sell the replacement trigger once it came in to offset cost a bit. Timney decided to send back an Elite Hunter trigger to replace the new/defective Impact trigger that came with the rifle. So Timney has regained some creditability, from me, but wish they would've been more 'up front' at the beginning. Thanks for other recommendations all!

I keep reading posts about the new REM/Timney triggers being a joke. This drove me to buying a Tikka instead.

I'd go Trigger Tech.
I ultimately did. I have a 2 stage on backorder at the moment(couldn't find one in stock), but that was due to me being unsatisfied with Timney's original response. Like I stated in my OP, I would've been happy with value of the Impact off of a Calvin 2S, but the rep backtracked on his original offer for an upgrade. FWIW, the issue with the original trigger was break weight. They're supposed to be ~3lb single stage(non-adjustable), and mine wouldn't read below 6.5lb on the gauge. I am a self-proclaimed trigger(and optics) snob, but that aside, if I have something, I want to work like it's intended to, which is why I'm whining about it. It may be a mass production issue too if they're just trying meet demand. I don't know where you've read about the other issues at, but there's mine.

I ultimately did. I have a 2 stage on backorder at the moment(couldn't find one in stock), but that was due to me being unsatisfied with Timney's original response. Like I stated in my OP, I would've been happy with value of the Impact off of a Calvin 2S, but the rep backtracked on his original offer for an upgrade. FWIW, the issue with the original trigger was break weight. They're supposed to be ~3lb single stage(non-adjustable), and mine wouldn't read below 6.5lb on the gauge. I am a self-proclaimed trigger(and optics) snob, but that aside, if I have something, I want to work like it's intended to, which is why I'm whining about it. It may be a mass production issue too if they're just trying meet demand. I don't know where you've read about the other issues at, but there's mine.
6.5 lbs? Yikes. Sorry to hear about the poor trigger. Hopefully she shoots lights out once that is remedied.

Seems like Remington would be better off just selling the rifle much cheaper and leaving the trigger off? But…I guess the avg. Joe wouldn't buy one then…

FWIW, the issue with the original trigger was break weight. They're supposed to be ~3lb single stage(non-adjustable), and mine wouldn't read below 6.5lb on the gauge. I am a self-proclaimed trigger(and optics) snob,
I feel the same way about triggers. The ~3lb trigger would've been gone too though. Within the last couple of years (I think) I got a Nosler M48 off of a consignment rack for an anniversary gift. They come with a Timney in them, and they're not a 700 trigger (I wish they were). When I got the rifle I went and shot it, the trigger was heavy, I didn't like it. I tried to adjust it, as it is adjustable, it got to a point when it wouldn't go below ~4lbs or more. I was fed up, and was looking around for a replacement. Nobody makes one and the closest thing I found was a Howa trigger on Timney's site and since it was there's I knew they had to have something.

Anyway, I got a hold of them and told them it wouldn't adjust anymore and I needed to buy a new one. They sent me a label and RMA form, on which I asked for it to be around 2lbs or just under. They sent it back and I checked it and it was about 1lb 13-14oz. Much better and I was very pleased with their service on that one.

I have a few of their products from springs and triggers and I wouldn't mind spending the money on them, if that's the only option. I have heard about issues with ignition in the 700 style triggers though so I'd go straight for a TT in that regard. I did just get a Bergara BMR in 22lr and being the trigger snob I am was thinking I'd put a TT Diamond in it, but at the same time I'm not sure I want to spend that much extra on a 22, so I might consider a Timney.

6.5 lbs? Yikes. Sorry to hear about the poor trigger. Hopefully she shoots lights out once that is remedied.

Seems like Remington would be better off just selling the rifle much cheaper and leaving the trigger off? But…I guess the avg. Joe wouldn't buy one then…
Or better yet worked out a deal with the Rem Man & put a good adjustable trigger in. I would imagine both companies would profit in more than one way.