Remington Sendero Or Sako Hunter 75 ?????

NorthernSniper

Anybody got any thoughts on which rifle I should go with? I'm am going Stainless synthetic most likely 300 RUM. I have had to return 2 Sako TRG-S rifles in a row because the groups started to open up after only about 200 shots. The Sako cold hammered barrel rifling just does not look like it is cut deep enough or is well defined to me. I don't suppose I can use my sako scope rings on the sendero, what rings would you recomend? Thanks for any thoughts!

My Remingtons have never let me down. If it were me I would chose the Sendero. I also like the Leupold double dovetail mounts and rings.

I've been shooting a SF Sendero in 7 RUM for about 6 months now and with a few mods like a brake and a custom trigger, it has become one of my favorites.
db

I shoot a remington model 700 and I really like the design, but my dad has 3 sako model 75s and I believe they are a far better made and superior gun. 2 of his are stainless synthetics(25-06 and 7 STW) and one is wood/blued(22-250). The factory trigger is better and is set lighter from the factory, and although the barrel is hammer forged and not button or cut rifled, these rifles are very accurate. His 25-06 will put 100 grain Interlocked bullets into one hole all day long behing RL22 and Winchester brass at 100 yards, and thats goin about 3400 fps! He shot a 1.5" 300 yard group with it a couple weeks ago in the VERY strong south texas gusty wind. It shoots a variety of load very well too, including factory 117 Win Ballistic silvertips, and the point of impact is very similar at 100 for most loads. His other 2 are very accurate too.

Ive never gotten exceptional accuracy out of my rem.

Anybody know if there is just one model of SS Sendero or are there different features on a couple models?
confused.gif

Sako7 I loved my TRG-S with the 3 locking lugs but I have to face the facts those cold hammered barrels don't hold up for me. Almost everybody I have come accross that has had a Sako that will push lead down the barrel at over 3300 fps has had to rebarrel in short order, after rebarreling they drive tacks way out there. Sako has gone away from quality cut barrels to the cold hammered barrel most likely for production reasons and I have lost faith in them after having 2 screw up in short order. It has occured to me that you may get fairly decent barrel life if you keep it down to 3000fps or so but to each his own.
smile.gif

I've got two Sako 75's and you couldn't give me 20 Remingtons for em'. One of them is a Stainless Hunter .300 Weatherby. It's got about 700 rounds through it and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the barrel or anything else. I've never heard anyone else complain about the barrels either. It shoots just as good now as it did when it was new. Half inch groups at 100 yards are quite normal. My 7 mag has a couple hundred rounds through it and it shoots even better.

Northern,

What you may have been experiencing with the TRG-S is the recoil lug problem I have read about. I didnt know about it till about a week ago when I read it on here. I havent had the problem yet with mine and I have about 250 rounds through her. My loads run about right at 3400 but soon will be in the 3700 range. If my groups start to open up the first thing I will look into is going to be the recoil lug. The Model 75 has a different configuration than the TRG-S and does not have this problem. I would suspect that when your freinds had their bbl changed the smith probably did some glassing work as well which will help fix the recoil lug problem. Sako has always been known for their high quality bbl's, yah of course a custom bbl is going to be better but no way is a factory rem bbl of any kind better than the Sako bbl. Rem's quality as of the last few years has been if'y at best. Fit and finish between the two isnt even in the same relm. JMHO

Sako7 I decided to go Hunter 75 SS 300 WM for now and just build my own later for LR work. Building one from scratch seems to be the way to go if you want LR accuracy.
smile.gif

Nsniper...thats a nice rifle. I have one myself..sakofan......

The wood/blued is very pretty, but I went with the SS because its more practicle.

[ 03-04-2004: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Northern, I sure hope it works well for ya or else I will be eating crow LOL. I think you will be very pleased with it. I agree though I would like to have a really nice custom done and it would be a LR gun as well. It will definatly have a Sako action though, just to be different if anything. My next gun though will probably be a Tikka T3 lite in 270 WSM with a nice 3-9 on it for an easy packing Mtn rifle and to be my STW's backup.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.