Remington Model 798, anybody know about this rifle?

AJ Peacock

All,

I noticed on the Remington website, there is a model 798, that is based on the Mauser 98 action (claw extractor, control feed etc.)

Anyone have experience with this M798 rifle?

I'd like input both from a long range perspective (future build capabilities), as well as using it as a Dangerous Game platform.

Thanks,
AJ

The Reminton 798 is made in Serbia and imported by Remington under the Remington trademark. They are made at the same factory as the Interarms Mark X and are a very fine rifle. Being a comercial Mauser, they are very easy to service and are very reliable. Just about any M98 action part will work on 798 or a Mark X with very little fitting. I have three Mark X's, two 375 H&H's and a 404 Jeffery. All are highly customized and very accurate.

That being said, they are not the best action for making an extremely accurate Ultra long range rifle like say on a Mod 700 or a 40X or even one of those very expensive custom actions. However if you are hunting in an area that has nasty critters and nasty weather conditions the Mauser is the way to go. I have quite a few friends that are PH's Africa and they have a Mauser or a pre 64 Mod 70 mostly Mausers.

Happy Shooting!

Right on AJ! The 375 is the most useful of those large caliber rifles. I 270 gr BT bullet has a trajectory of 150 bullet fired from a 30-06. A 235 gr speer bullet for deer and any premium bullet from Woodleigh, barnes, Swift, North Fork, There will be nothing that walks this Planet that you cannot hunt. The 375 is a little light Cape Baffalo and Elephant but is leagal to hunt them with a 375.

Buy one and enjoy! the 375 is more comfortalble to shoot than a lighter weight 300 mag or 338 Win Mag. That long slender cases feed so nicely from the magazine. A 375 with a good bedding and trigger job is amazingly accurate. When handloading, those long slender cases tend to stretch more than a the bottle neck case so keep a watchful eye on them.

Happy Shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.