Remington Model 710 question?

hillajam

I have a Remington model 710 in 30-06 and need some advice. I've heard about the remington 700 actions and how good they are.

Is the 710 good?

I originally got it because it was cheap, but now I'm wanting to put some work into it to make it a shooter but I don't know if it is worth putting any money into it. I was thinking maybe selling it and buying a Remington model 700 adl in 30-06 instead. (A better action with a cheap price tag to start out with)

To me the gun just seams cheaply made, and that's probablly why they were so cheap.

So I guess my real question is to sell it, (which wouldn't hurt my feelings) or keep it.

Also 1 more question. I'm planning on using it for deer sized game. Muleys, whitetail, pronghorn etc...Is a 30-06 good and flat shooting or do you all have any other suggestions for deer sized calibers. I need a long ranger.

Thanks

Oops I forgot to tell you that I have a Rem 700 300WM that i'm going to use for big game. So I'd like something smaller.

Thanks

You should trust your instincts. You kinda get what you pay for. I won't say that they don't shoot or that you'll never hit anything with it, but I've been inside them and you are right, they are cheaply made. I've know guys that have them and love'em. but they just aren't for me. I would rather buy an older beater ADL or BDL. I know I can turn that in to anything I want. The 710s barrels are pressed in and can't be easily re-barreled. If you want a "throw in the truck gun" it might just fill the bill. Good Luck.

The 710 is cheap and there isn't a whole lot you can do with it. If you are serious about customizing it than get rid of it and get a different rifle to start with. Savage or Remington seem to be the most popular for customizations of factory rifles. If you want to get a rifle to shoot good w/o customization then I'd look at Rem, Savage, or Tikka.

To be honest, there isn't a huge difference balistically between a 30-06 and 300 wm. If you want a smaller flater shooting factory produced round, I'd reccomend the 270, 280, 25-06, 260, 264 wm, 257 wby, 7mm RUM, 7 WSM .... the list goes on. It all depends how much power, range and barrel life. I do think that the 270 would be an excellent choice if you already have the 300 mag.

Well thanks a bunch guys. That's confirms my suspicions. Now I just have to get rid of it and find a new one.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.