Remington M-700 Sendero in 7mm Rem. Mag.

Ian M

Shot the new Sendero today, must say it is a nice shooting rifle. Sixty rounds of Black Hills Ammo, 140 Accubonds and 162 A-MAX. Had three shots touching at 100 with the Accubonds. Shot the A-Max at 400 yards on my steel LV targets and they were very accurate. Too early to talk numbers but this is a nice shooting rifle.

Trigger was good. Barrel is heavily fluted, black finish in the bottom of the flutes, uniform markings on the crown after shooting. Stock is a real surprise. Prominent palm swell, excellent handling fore-end, tapered to the barrel, wedge shaped if looked at from the muzzle. Two front studs, one was loose. Action screws tightened to at least 65 inch-pounds since my snap-wrench hardly moved. Trigger is so reasonable I am leaving it as-is. Crisp, very little creep, just a bit heavy but definitely not 7-8 pounds.

Put a new USO low power variable on it, something like 1.8-10. Nice scope but not enough time to really wring it out. Used a Badger Ord. base and the USO rings that came with the scope. Excellent fitting rings, easy to put together and can be centered to the line of bore. Got the rifle onto the steel at 400 and proceded to beat it up nicely. Had several shooters show up, all agreed this is a comfortable, accurate rifle that is a lot of fun to shoot.

Black Hills Gold was very accurate in this rifle.

Really like the palm-swells and pistol grip feel, plus the new fore-end design is excellent. Surprises everyone with how light the rifle is. Stainless action looks good, no signs of sloppy workmanship. This rifle is a shooter.

Ian M,
I've been waiting to hear something about them, when you say the "new" you have to be referring the "Sendero SF II". What do you think the street price will run? Will you be doing any reloading and more testing for it?
Thanks for sharing.

I just got my hands on this one, intend to shoot it a bunch. First thing is to get some drops and info for an upcoming hunt, then try some reloading etc. Will keep you informed. This rifle really likes the Black Hills Match loading of 162 A-Max's, and their 140 Accubonds. We were making head-shots on a very small steel target at 400 yards consistently. Perfect conditions, no wind and nice light yesterday.

Thanks Ian,
From what you've seen so far, would you recomend glass bedding it? or both, Glass and pillar bedding?
Thanks.

Ian M,
don't mean to be pushy, are you having a good time with that new sendero? I hope all is well!

I hunted with the new Sendero last week, shot a javelina with the rifle and a nice turkey with a new 870 turkey gun and their latest turkey load. The javelina was one shot, the turkey took two since I missed the first shot at about 25 yards. Guide said to wait till he makes some kind of turkey sound, gets his neck extended. I did and shot right over him. He took off like he was shot out of a canon, I just shucked another round in and let fly - fortunately that shot centered his head. He was a Rio Grande type turkey.
The real test for the Sendero was on a Nilgai bull and I have to tell you that although the rifle did its part, we could not find him. 246 yards standing head-on, I had watched him come across a big clearing to a water-hole for about twenty minutes. Time to go prone on the Harris, sandbags at the butt. Rock steady. 160 grain Swift A-Frame in a Rem. factory load, shoots excellent in this rifle. USO 1.8-10 scope set on ten. Bull was standing head-on, I put the crosshairs low on his neck. Estimated 9-10 inches of drop since the bullet dropped 6" at 200 from a 100 yard zero. Time to go through the basics, breathing, trigger control, crosshairs were rock still. Broke clean, he dropped like a stone, kicked a bit. I reloaded and stayed on him but could only see top of ribs as he fell in a bit of a low spot. This is where I blew it - I should have run closer and got a clear second shot. Or got up on the sticks and hit him again. I didn't and really regret not thinking that way. He got up, fell hard and I thought it was done. Not so, Nilgai are incredibly tough. He got up and headed to the bush wobbly, I missed my second shot. We searched for a long time in ugly heat, way too hot for me as I am not used to the humidity and 95 degree heat that day.

Have not lost an animal for a long time - not a good day. It happens, my mistake was not ensuring more hits - simple as that. They are not like most N. American animals, they are just tougher, take bullets differently. Only sure shot is a nervous system shot which I did the previous week with the T/C Pro Hunter.
I believe I may buy the Sendero, it is one sweet rifle. If I do I may get it skim bedded but it is shooting near or under the 1/2 inch mark now with ammo it likes. Nothing wrong with a 7 Rem mag. although I prefer my .308's since I use them so much.
Wish this was a better story but it happened. Next time I will handle the situation different.

Ian M ,its good you got to go for a hunt with the new Sendero, the grate thing about hunting you just dont no whats gunna happen.
Remington need to make the Sendero in more calibers like 308 and in the new short mags. but the 300wm will have to do.as the 300 ultramag is a overkill where i hunt.

dhughes838,

Welcome aboard!

I finally ended up buying a Sendero SF II last year, I'm also very happy with it. One of my sons took a young Elk at 470 yards with one shot and my other boy took his deer last year at 380 yards.
Thanks for posting and again welcome aboard!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.