Remington Custom Shop

Herbie

Does anyone have any experience With the shop since it moved to South Dakota?
Or has anyone had the shop put together a rifle since the move and how did it turn out?

I have a Model Seven AWR 2 that I am pretty sure was built in South Dakota. Any idea how I can tell? I'll try the serial number method and get the date of manufacture if you know when they relocated then we maybe it was made in SD.

I can tell you that it's a great little rifle and I was leery of the stock which is not a McMillan which my other Custom Shop rifles have but the B&C seems to be great.

OK... I just checked and can't use the serial number method without calling and I suspect nobody will be there to help.

There is supposedly a date code on the barrel but it's at my gunsmith's right now to get the action bedded so.... Well... Sigh

I have a Model Seven AWR 2 that I am pretty sure was built in South Dakota. Any idea how I can tell? I'll try the serial number method and get the date of manufacture if you know when they relocated then we maybe it was made in SD.

I can tell you that it's a great little rifle and I was leery of the stock which is not a McMillan which my other Custom Shop rifles have but the B&C seems to be great.

OK... I just checked and can't use the serial number method without calling and I suspect nobody will be there to help.

There is supposedly a date code on the barrel but it's at my gunsmith's right now to get the action bedded so.... Well... Sigh
I don't know when they relocated but relatively recently like4-6 years ago?

OK.... Here are my thoughts on the place it was probably built. If I remember correctly as they were about to close the Custom Shop in Ilion NY I was talking to the manager and he said that they were selling the last of the McMillan stocks that they had because they were going to be using different stocks in the future so I bought an extra because it was probably going to be impossible to get a new one after that.

Since mine has a Bell and Carlson stock on it then I think it's safe to assume that it was made in South Dakota but it's all conjecture.

Anyway.... I don't think this rifle is better or worse in the accuracy and reliability than the older ones but it's sure way better looking with it's fluted Trinyte barrel and speckled stock.

OK.... I just looked at the new Remington Custom Shop website and it appears that I was all wrong. The stock on this rifle certainly looks like the older McMillan stocks and they say it's a McMillan but they spelled it wrong. LOL
https://www.remington.com/custom-shop/classic-series-rifles/model-seven/model-seven-custom

So... The plot thickens. I now am not sure what the heck I have. LOL

Last edited:
I had a North American hunter built in 28 nosler a shoots great. Rifle looks really good cosmeticly. Only complaint is the bed job is not perfect but shoots good! The man in charge of customer service is very rude maybe had a bad day!!! It was one of the first built after the move. Rifle was built on time actually couple weeks earlier.

I had a North American hunter built in 28 nosler a shoots great. Rifle looks really good cosmeticly. Only complaint is the bed job is not perfect but shoots good! The man in charge of customer service is very rude maybe had a bad day!!! It was one of the first built after the move. Rifle was built on time actually couple weeks earlier.

I've gone through quite a few Remington Custom Shop rifles over the years and NEVER even once had a good bedding job on one until I finally gave up in frustration and started paying a true long range gunsmith to bed them properly and VOILA!!! Then they started shooting like they should.

In the Remington Custom Shop and from what I've seen some other custom shops they use a somewhat self adhesive sticky pad under the action and call it good. It is barely better than nothing and as soon as I started having them properly bedded all those unexplained fliers and POI shifts that cropped up at odd times disappeared.

It helps to have a really tough and rigid stock first and then if it also has aluminum bedding blocks it's even better but you still have to skim bed on top of the aluminum bedding blocks if you want to completely remove all those eccentricities that will continually confound you.

Once a good barrel is mounted on a properly bedded action in a good rigid stock you can usually use quality factory ammo and get bug hole groups completely making load work up obsolete unless you're competing where thousandths of an MOA can make or break you.

After over 40 years of chasing accuracy I found that proper bedding was the most critical component of any rifle with load workup being way down the list of important things to consider.

If you properly bed a rifle when you set the barreled action into the stock you should feel a positive dead stop like when you set a concrete block on a flat driveway surface. When you tighten the action screws you should feel a dead stop when the screws get tight negating the need for torquing. I've had to cross torque for years as the action wobbled its way into where it finally rested as I cross torqued over and over. Now no more.

I read on another website that the Manager of the Remington Custom Shop was previously employed by LongRifles Inc.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.