Weatherby Custom Shop Quality??

idig4au

Does anybody have experience with the gunsmith quality of work with the Weatherby Custom Shop? Looks like they will build up a pretty decent rifle on paper with a Krieger barrel on a mark V action that has been trued and etc. I am just wondering if its worth the price...+$4K and if it will be that much better than a factory Mark V ultralight. Its hard to find a gunsmith that will do custom work on the Mark V action. Was thinking the folks at weatherby would be an option, assuming they have real attention to detail.

I was thinking of building up a new custom job from weatherby in 270 wby. Looking for an lightweight mountain rifle for backpack hunting, flat shooting and will hold its own out to 500 yards. This is mainly for backpack sheep hunting.

Yeah I know there are way better options out there for action choices and gunsmith work for lightweight mountain rifles. There are some real artists out there for sure that make amazing custom builds. I'm just a weatherby man, and what I feel comfortable with. I could never cozy up to the Rem 700 actions, mainly because of the 90 degree bolt throws.

Any input on your experiences or what you have heard regarding the Weatherby custom shop would be appreciated. I suspect one is paying a premium for the name and "custom"....

Thanks

If you are stuck on Weatherby just get an Accumark and put good glass on it. Probably would be just as accurate as the Custom Shop $4k job and half the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts