Remington action build vs. plan B

lambeau

I've enjoyed lurking & learning here on LRH for quite some time now. I'm looking at the possibiity of my 1st basic build and thought I'd post to get some input.
First, some background info. Looks like I will be hunting Hells Canyon for elk this fall and after some initial pre-season hiking & scouting the prospects of 500+ yard shots (if not longer) appear to be very likely. For the past 20+ years I've used a two gun battery, both Remingtons. Both have Leupold VIIs mounted on them. One is a .270 MR w/ a 3x9, the other a .300 WM BDL w/ a 2x7. I've used the .300 for elk & bear and it sports a newer Boyds laminated stock. The .270 has been for deer and all else, and the stock is on its last legs (missing forend tip & generally beat to hell). In years past I've reloaded and have been able to get 1.0"-1.5" MOA accuracy out of both guns.
I'm interested in the possibility of putting together a single rifle that I would use for all of my hunting going forward that will enable me to take elk size game out to 600+ yards (assuming I can do my part). I realize with the right amount of work I can probably hit the ground running with my current .300 WM, but after taking my last 4 elk with the .270 while the .300 was out of commission I have to say that I rather enjoyed shooting it vs. taking the beating with the .300. With that said, I'm leaning towards a 7mm RM for the new gun. I realize that the 7mm is not a whole lot different than the .300 recoil-wise, but I'll take whatever I can get. I've also contemplated the .280 or .284, but they seem like they could be marginal for longer range shooting on large game like elk.
My question - would these older Remington actions be good candidates for building something new off of or would I be better off selling both and using the cash to start from scratch with a Savage action or gun? I'd like to keep the overall cost in the $1000-$1400 range (including scope) which I think is doable. I'm not interested in investing much more than that until I figure out if the weak link in the shooting equation (me) warrants more expensive equipment.
Thoughts?

A .280 Ackley Improved should be able to do what you want to do. They can take deer sized game @ 1000 yards from what I have been told, with handloads and the right bullet/powder combo.

It requires a long-action with a standard (non-magnum) bolt face, however, you can always buy a PTG standard long-action 700 bolt. So your actions could be utilized very easily. Actions can last ****-near forever, with the right gunsmith working on them. If the raceways wear out, you can always add an oversized bolt head, if the ejector or firing pin wear out you can replace those, etc...It's just a matter of how much money and work you plan on putting into them, but they can last near forever, unless something catestrophic happens.

I'm a big Rem 700 fan...Always have been. My next build will be a .280 AI built off a trued Rem 700 action.

Lamb- you already have the stuff to reload 300win mag.i is very easy to load for . put on a heavier krieger barrel and a mcmil stock add a good scope you and your equipment will be good to 1000 yards and more. there is a reason the f-class shooters use what they do . it works. my son and son-inlaw each shot 15 shot groups during a 1000 yard match ; you could cover with a sheet of notebook paper. with a factory sendero. 300 win mag. it has a muzzzle break. the recoil is minimal.

While I am a huge savage guy I would have to say that your 300 restocked and barreled would be a great gun for what you want. And I am sorry you are hunting the hell whole:D. I have hunted the oregon side for years. Lots of animals but they almost always are found at the bottom. Good luck with the build and the hunt.

I had a .300 Jarrett built on a trued 700 action in the mid 90's. It made a fine rifle. That case is based on the .375H&H. The bolt face was opened, as it started out as an '06, and I had a longer Wyatt magazine box installed.
The action is fine. For the use you have described, I would suggest a rifle similar to that one would be ideal. It used a 24" #4 taper barrel and a McMillan stock. Trigger was the original with a trigger job done. It turned out to be an excellent trigger. Total weight of the rifle was an even 7lbs. without scope. I had a brake on that rifle because 200 gr bullets launched at just over 3000 fps recoiled a bit.
As for caliber, I would agree with the 7 mag. I have sold all my .300, and larger, magnum rifles and currently use a .270 WSM and a 7 mag. High BC bullets in lower weights make for less recoil and equal killing ability when compared to the .30 cal's.

2 years ago I had a 7SAUM built. A little heavier than I want to carry all of the time. Has a great muzzle break on it. A friend shot it soon after I got it. He looked at me and said said, "you son of a bitch". I said what? He said " this gun kicks less than my .243". Get a new barrel and a good brake on the .300. Have it bedded and the trigger worked on. Maybe a new stock if your budget allows... 7 mag is also a great caliber. Won't go wrong with either one. Good luck. Bruce

Can't argue with the brake. I've had them on both the above mentioned .300 Jarrett, and on a 6.5 lb .338. They work.
I just got tired of the blast, and have found that smaller, less dramatic calibers work just fine for my use. The biggest, most dangerous thing I shoot is elk.

Thanks to all for the input.
After looking a little more into plan B - selling the existing guns and getting into something new such as a Tikka3 7RM LSS - I decided to see if I can't make by current 300WM a shooter.
Visited a well recommended local smith today and the first steps will be a Shrewd muzzle brake and a Timney trigger. Will see how the existing barrell shoots and then make the call on a new barrel, and then a replacement stock.
Next immediate need is new glass. I've looked over quite a few of the previous threads on $500-$700 scopes, and as of now I'm leaning towards a SWFA SS 3x9-42 or a Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST (MOA/MOA), with the SWFA 3-15x42 as a third option. I like the Viper reticles and I'm inclined to go MOA/MOA vs. MIL/MIL as it seems a little more intuitive to me. However, for another $100 I do like the idea of being able to zoom to 15x in a 42mm objective with SWFA 3-15x. I'd go with the Viper 4-16x, but have no interest in a 50mm bell on a hunting rig. Any thoughts or other suggestions on other brands that might be of comparable quality and price in a FFP scope within that price and zoom range?
@ Luke - Hells Canyon hell hole is right. The good thing is we WILL be hunting from the bottom (Snake River) up, so we should be into elk, below the snow line and packing downhill.

They make a vortex viper hs lr in a 4-16x44. They is what I would look for. I have one on my 280 ai and have shot it to a mile. I also have nightforce and vortext pst's and for you I think the hs lr would be good.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.