Remington 700 tweaking ?`s

savatage

I have a Remington model 700 in .260/composite stock that I would like to put some work into...Been reading and see there are options, and would like some members input please.Maybe putting a trigger in it and stock work is a good place to start? Any help would be awesome.My goal is to tighten up groups at farther distances if possible.Thanks, Gary.

Last edited:
I have a Remington model 700 in .260 that I would like to put some work into...Been reading and see there are options, and would like some members input please.Maybe putting a trigger in it and stock work is a good place to start? Any help would be awesome.My goal is to tighten up groups at farther distances if possible.Thanks, Gary.
Get Kevin to do you up and Accuracy package he is a sponser here and I will vouch for him.
Montour County Rifles

Get it in a solid stock, laminate or composite (not the factory tupperware stuff).
Bed the action.
Tune the trigger.
Develop a load.

From here you can see what you've got.

Step 1: Develop a load, see what you have, I have a 270 that all it needed was a trigger job. It is in the factory wood stock and will shoot 1/4moa at 100 Yards. Barrel is not free floated (In fact there are pressure points).

Step 2: If that is not good enough Stock is first to go (In my opinion) shortly after the trigger as well. In between each do some load development. Bed the stock using good materials (I have used AccuGlass i think is what it is called from Brownells).

You kinda sound like you want to do this economicly and short of doing everything this is what i would do.

700's can shoot really good (Mine is only used for Returning Gods Creatures to him) some need a little more TLC than others.

Step 1: Develop a load, see what you have, I have a 270 that all it needed was a trigger job. It is in the factory wood stock and will shoot 1/4moa at 100 Yards. Barrel is not free floated (In fact there are pressure points).

Step 2: If that is not good enough Stock is first to go (In my opinion) shortly after the trigger as well. In between each do some load development. Bed the stock using good materials (I have used AccuGlass i think is what it is called from Brownells).

You kinda sound like you want to do this economicly and short of doing everything this is what i would do.

700's can shoot really good (Mine is only used for Returning Gods Creatures to him) some need a little more TLC than others.

I disagree. Start with a stable platform and free floated barrel. Being able to shoot bugholes is not the same as being able to shoot bugholes to the same point of aim, from all positions, with a hot and cold barrel, in varying environments. The unbedded factory walnut with pressure points will walk all over.

Grit how is our methods really that different? Could you explain a little bit more. As far as i can see our only difference is the work that is done before any serious changes are made? IMO everyone should test what they have before wholesale parts swapping. Most economical.

We still do not understand the fine details of why some guns shoot well when they should not. It could be that the stars were aligned when the rifle was built. I would personally not use any gunsmith who tells me that a factory firearm cant shoot well. I am convinced that even top rifle builders such as Kirby and Shaun would agree that sometimes they get anomolies that cause a file that SHOULD shoot bad to shoot well, or vise versa. There is a big reason that they shoot their rifles and verify accuracy before they ship them. You never know.

I am not trying to downgrade your experties at all, but I stand behind my scientific method of solving problems. IMO a first BenchMark is the most important.

I could have put in big bucks to my 270 but careful load development (150Gn Sierra, 56.0gn H4831, and CCI Mag Primer, seated .004 from lands if i remember right) will give amazing accuracy. It can do better but for my current needs it works great.

Back to the OP, I got the impression that you are not looking for a 1/4MOA rifle, and are not looking at spending much money on this. You do not directly state this but its the feel i get from it. Play around, if your looking for MOA accuracy play with a load. You might just find one that will shoot that good. If you dont, then continue on, and work on a stock.

If you have the money Action Blueprint would be worth it, a new stock would also be worth it. Bed it properly Most places charge around 250 to do this (Around here), if you have an eye for detail you can do it yourself. Get a better trigger on it. My trigger was set to 9# yours may be similar. You can tune the trigger yourself and get a very good set up. PM me and i will give you the method i used for it.

I think Boyds Laminate stocks are good (Never used one), and fairly cheap. I have made my own wood stocks and have done most of the work with hand tools, you can do a good job with a dremel to inlet it but once again if you do not have an eye for perfection pay the 250.

Well my rant is over.

Thanks for your input! The gun shoots fine as is ,for a hunting rifle.I would like to make some changes to it , so I can get the most out of this .260...I`m reading all your ideas,and the stuff I`ve searched out here and other places...Have friends also who tweak there guns to 1/4 moa...That would be my goal for sure...If I go cheap,,,adjust factory trigger,pillar and bed factory stock ,sand the for-end for a free flote barrel...Would I see improvements in both accuracy and distance??? Thats the question I present here,and to myself...I have gotten both of your options told to me as late as this afternoon on a hog hunt I was guiding.And need to make up my mind.Going out and buying a new stock,boyds laminate,$100.Timney trigger,$129.New bases and rings by burris {extreme med}$100.=$329. Thats not out of line either.I could do that.The ammo is factory at this time.I no I need to roll my own to get this package complete...I see a few dies in .260 I will buy and have one of the guys I referred to earlier show me how.WOW! I just wrote a book.LOL. Thats were I stand.

Grit how is our methods really that different? Could you explain a little bit more. As far as i can see our only difference is the work that is done before any serious changes are made? IMO everyone should test what they have before wholesale parts swapping. Most economical.

First off, my intent is to be infomative and helpful, not argue. For the record, I am a smith. I admire Shaun and Kirby, pleased to be in good company. I'm more than happy to explain my position a little more :D.

Let me separate two concepts. Accuracy is tight groups. Consistency is repeatability.

It's true you can tune a rifle, like your walnut stocked factory rig, using action screw pressure and pressure points on the barrel and other methods of this nature. You can make a rifle shoot bugholes this way. Accuracy. This is fun, but only half the battle.

If you change the pressures on your barrel or action the rifle will shoot differently. Many things will change these pressures. For example, shooting off different platforms, a tight sling, off a bipod, or off your back pack. Temperature and humidity will shrink and expand walnut dramatically.

What we are after is consistent accuracy. This means the rifle shoots tight groups, to the same point of aim, regardless of shooting position, pressures on the stock, and in varying temperature and humididty.

Consistency is achieved by eliminating and / or minimizing the pressure changes which affect our barrelled action.

The first step is a stock material which is affected minimally by temp and humidity. We use laminates, synthetics, and aluminum bedding blocks or pillars. The more rigid a stock is the less it flexes and changes pressures. We also free float the barrel for several reasons.

Start with a stable platform, a rigid stock effected by heat and humidity as little as possible. Bed the action. This mates the stock to the action and makes the vibrations and pressure points the same from shot to shot. Recoil is transmitted to the stock consistently through the recoil lug. Unbedded actions move violently in thier mortises. They load all sorts of varying contact points, like the magazine, action screws, and trigger. The action may end in the same position for the next shot, it may not. Free float the barrel. A barrel that's not free floated will transmit pressure changes on the forend directly to the barrel, making it shoot differently from different rests, positions, and environments. Barrels also swell and heat as you shoot them. If there is barrel contact, pressure changes, barrel harmonics change, and the rifle will shoot differently. Tune the trigger. The Rem 700 has a pretty good trigger if it is well tuned. Finally, do load work up. If accuracy isn't where you want, start with the crown...

While some of the aspects contributing to utmost accuracy aren't fully understood, we do understand a whole lot. Allow your rifle to shoot consistently. Then, tune it for accuracy, and the accuracy will always be there. No fliers when you know you did your job right.

As for doing things economically, sometimes compromises must be made. There are solid, inexpensive stocks available. You can bed the action yourself, fit and finish yourself. Use a factory trigger. A trigger job is inexpensive. Just don't handicap your rifles potential by using a flimsy stock, not bedding, not free floating, and not tuning the triger. If you start with the basics, I guarrantee the end results will be rewarding!

Your goals and perspective are a factor too. For me, 6-800 yards is simple, 1000-1200 is high percentage, and a mile is fun.

I hope this is helpful. Anyone is welcome to PM, email, or call anytime. I'm eager to help, and eager to learn.

Regards, Lorenzo

While some of the variables contributing to ultimate accuracy are not understood.

I apologize if i seemed a little rude last night, I was ready to go to bed but thought i would check my email.

Grit,

We could discuss this over PM, but i feel it is important to finish out our little conundrum here so that when the site is referenced (which it is highly rated on google), someone has the complete story.

I am not arguing at all with your ideas, in fact if you compare our OP's they are really similar, what i am arguing is the initial testing and load development.

I understand the points you bring up about accuracy vs consistency. In theory only a free floated barrel, in a perfectly trued action, that is perfectly bedded in a substance that does not compress from the force or recoil, with the grain of the barrel pointing parallel to the boreline... the description can go on and on. Now this description comes from experimental testing.

I love being the devils advocate here. ALL matter expands and contracts directly proportional to a change in tempature. This means your barrel will increase or decrease in diameter and length depending on the tempature. Now a free floated barrel what we are trying to do is remove all of the external forces to the barrel. (Well Bore), what about a barrel that is completely bedded in a substance that has the same expansion constant as the steel used to make our barrels? Would POI be inconsistent, no body knows.

Now if we get out of the magical land of theoretical physics and into the real world we know somethings are in theory possible such as jumping out of an airplane in a wing suit (Some new sport) and safely landing on the ground without injury. Would I try this, ill leave that to Natural Selection.

I think Mr. Young and I could agree to disagree here on one point (Ill give him everything else). When I buy something i run it through its paces before i do anything, I know i could get better results if i spent some money but in some cases i am content. My 270 is an Elk Rifle used for carrying and walking miles and miles. Anything out to 400 Yards I would feel confident with this rifle (This year it will not have a scope, really contradictory to my store here but no need to have a scope to hid a basket ball sized target at 400M. )

Some Individuals out there and for rifles I can say without offending (I think) grit here that he is not happy with it until it is the best that it can be. For many here however the best is not needed there is a such thing as good enough.

Unless you send your rifle off to a gunsmith (After a little bit of chat via PM i feel that i may someday use Mr. Young to build a rifle) test what you have it only costs a little any you get a better feel for what you want. When you are ready to get the best the gun can be ship the thing off and it will come back shooting 3 bullets 1 hole.

I have once again ranted here, let me real quickly restate the point.

If you can be content with something less than the best play around and save your money. Learn how to load a good accurate round.
If time is short and you need something that will hit an elk at 1000 yards before next elk season have your gunsmith do everything that has been talked about. Then develop a load.

Back to the OP, i would urge you to not spend a dime on your rifle until you get a reloading set. Factory ammo just is not up to par. If i remember right you shoot a 260, i am not to famaliar with that round but have NEVER seen "Match Grade Ammo". (I have not really looked).

P.S. Grit if you dissagree I may have to make a special trip to "Visit My Relatives" in Utah and take you out to the range disagree while poping prarie dogs :)

P.S. Grit if you dissagree I may have to make a special trip to "Visit My Relatives" in Utah and take you out to the range disagree while poping prarie dogs :)[/QUOTE]

Chuckle... I'm trying to collect my thoughts to respond. I'm still dizzy. I'm always up for prairie doggin'!

The benefits of a rigid stock, bedded action, free floated barrel, and tuned trigger don't fall into the category of theory. These are proven, effective, key elements. They are the basics. I start with them every time. The end result is better, every time.

If your goal is 300 yards, go ahead and run a facory rig as is, they were designed to do this. My perspective is from a long range, precision rifle, viewpoint. This is longrangehunting.

Where i am from its irresponsible not to shoot as many as you can. Put on some western music (From a John Wayne Movie) pull out the 17HMR and shoot center mass. They will grab the bullet hole do a few turns and then fall down, just like in the movies. Cant wait to shoot my new coyote rifle. Weatherby Accumark in 338-378... :)

As someone on this fourm (in his signature) says "OverKill is Under Rated"

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.