Remington 700 trigger adjustment ??

SheepSeeker

Just took delivery of a new stainless, solid bottom, 700 short action.

It has the "new" safety trigger with only adjustment for pull weight.

I read the instructions and tried adjusting it.

With the screw backed all the way out, it's still at 4 pounds.

What a *** ! I have/had dozens of the Walker triggers, adjusted them per online instructions and NEVER had a problem with ANY of them !

I'd play with it some..tighten it all the way. And start pulling the trigger..loosen pull trigger..loosen pull trigger...git be able to reduce it....or..i saw heck of a deal for trigger tech on midway....

What a *** ! I have/had dozens of the Walker triggers, adjusted them per online instructions and NEVER had a problem with ANY of them !

Just because they are adjustable doesn't mean they can be adjusted below a safe level. Remington and many other manufactures limit how low their triggers can be adjusted and the average minimum weight limit is 4 to 6 pounds. To be safely adjusted below that requires extra parts and design features that prevent an accidental discharge at reduced weights.

In order to get these features, cost will go up depending on how low they can be safely set. They also may have called it a safety trigger because you can't set it below a safe weight for the trigger.

As long as the trigger is crisp and breaks clean, 4 pounds is a very good weight. In fact 4 pounds was the minimum allowable weight for NRA hi power competition. these matches went to 1200 yards and everyone did very well. some custom trigger manufactures have a limit that you can go
to about 7 or 8 oz some of the really expensive bench rest triggers can go to 1 or 2 oz safely but they are all on rails and pointed downrange at all times making them safe in case of an accidental discharge. (Which does happen occasionally). :eek:

J E CUSTOM

Buy a trigger tech trigger and you will never look back

I take them out and toss them and put in a triggertech

Well. I lubed it with low friction oil and grease and got it down to 3 lbs 8 oz.

Looking at it in detail, it is really the Walker trigger with all the adjustments removed. Then it is also stainless, metal know to have a much higher "grab" factor than hardened carbon steel.

Saw a funny UTube video on fixing one. Back out pins, remove trigger, throw in garbage can.

Can't really lose anything by pulling it apart and see if a careful polishing might help.

Meanwhile two things:

-If anyone has a good aftermarket trigger for sale, pls PM me.

-I might pull one of my Walker triggers out of a 721/2 and see how it works.

The sear surfaces are a different material and normally hardened for wear and have to be honed by someone that knows what they are doing and has the fixtures to hold the part for honing the correct angle. (Very important if you don't want to ruin a good trigger).

There are plenty of good after market triggers that can safely go below 2 pounds if that is what you want. Jewell Is the best In my opinion and comes with 3 different springs that allow you to set the pull weight and have the proper spring so you can be in the middle of the spring rate.
They also have a safety link that prevents the sear from falling unless the trigger is pulled.

J E CUSTOM

I agree with everyone on trigger replacement Recommendations but the Remington's aren't that bad if you know how to adjust the triggers the problem is most people don't It will go to about 2.5 lbs safely but you have to be able to adjust sear screw

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.