Remington 700 Sendero SF II scope

dkweeks

I have this rifle on order from Remington in a 300RUM. I would like some recommendations on what scope, mount, and rings I should put on it. I am trying to stay around the $800 range if possible. My gun shop recommended a set of Leupold rings and base for $50 and a Nikon 4-12x50 Buckmaster for $300. Is this a good setup for this rifle, and can it handle this caliber? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It all depends on what it is you want to do with the gun. If on occasions you are going to be in the woods where shots will be close then you will need something with a bottom end of 3.5 to 6 at most. If you are always going to be out in the open then a top end of 15 or more is good. If you don't plan on shooting more than 500 yds then you don't need more than 9 or 10 power if that much. On the other hand if you are over 50 years of age you may need to consider a larger objective to get in more light.

Cross hair size is an issue. Large thick crosshairs are good for low light and quick line ups but are hard to use at long range because they cover up so much of the target.

Just me, for $800 I would get a one piece base- like the luepold Mark 4 tactical base, Burris signature rings with inserts and a VXIII 4.5-14X50 30mm tube fine duplex. This should cover everything from low light and 50 yds to about 1000 yds and maybe more if you push it.

It is really hard to make a good recommendation without understanding your hunting needs and style.

[ QUOTE ]
......and a VXIII 4.5-14X50 30mm tube fine duplex. This should cover everything from low light and 50 yds to about 1000 yds and maybe more if you push it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. For the rings and bases I would contact Glen Seekins (heatseekins is his handle on this sight I think). He makes some outstanding rings and I wouldn't expect any less from his bases. You could easily get the rings, base and this scope for right about $800.

I JUST GOT MY NEW SENDERO SF2 .300RUM A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO.I HAVE A NIKON MONARCH 5.5-16X44AO THAT I WAS GOING TO PUT ON IT BUT I THINK IM GOING TO GET A ZEISS OR SCHMIDT BENDER. I WOULD SELL YOU THIS NIKON IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. IM IN RIDGELAND ,MS

I am only 25 years old, but I would still like to have a large objective. Most of my shots will be in the 250 to 400 yard range until I become comfortable with longer shots. With time, I hope to go out to 900+ yards on occasion.
I have heard the stories about scopes not being able to handle this caliber. Everyone says Leupold will handle it, and I do here a few say something nice about Nikon. I want to make sure that I wont have to replace it just because I use it.
By the way, the gun store called Remington to check availability on the rifle and said that they were having to hold shipment until they could fix a problem. They are going to change the model number of the rifle and start to ship them out somewhere in the next couple months. Does anyone know what the problem was? I want to wait until I get news that it is on the way before I buy anything for it, so that I don't lose or damage anything in my move next month.

It took me about a week to get my sf2 sendero in .300 ultra . I called everywhere and nobody could get one yet,so I called Remington and they told me Cabelas was the only place they had shipped any to . If you call Cabelas main store in Sydney Nebraska and talk to Paul at the gun counter he should be able to get you one.He called me on a tuesday morning from Nebraska to tell me he had gotten my gun in and the next afternoon my gun was at my friends gun shop in Brookhaven.That Cabelas has The best customer service I have ever recieved. Good luck finding one ,I sure like mine its much nicer than the old sendero

The Nikons mentioned are great scopes, as is the Leupy. I have a Nikon Tactical on mine, but it is only a 300WM and I would not recommend it for a RUM as the eye relief might become a problem (3.1").

I had the 5.5-16x44 Monarch on my Remington 700 lss .300 ultra for two years with no problems at all.Just got my new sendero and wanted a bigger scope

I'd get the Leupold 4.5-14. I had the 40mm Long range version and it was an awesome scope. Should have never sold it!

DK,
I have a Leupold 4.5x14(40) and a 6.5x20(40) on my Sendero's in 7mmRM and .25-05Rem and the Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5x20(44) on my 700 VS in .22-250Rem. I sent the 4.5X14 back to Leupold Custom shop and had a target knob put on the elevation turret.
I've always been under the impression "if you can't see it - you can't hit it". For me, more is better. Johnny K.

You might want to consider the Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14PR.
I just got one (thanks Bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) and it is awesome!
This scope would give you the flexability to cover targets both near and far.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.