Remington 700 Police .308 Seating Depth

doherp

Howdy I am releading 1500 - 155gr Projectiles in the above rifle. I normally seat just off the lands (approx .010in).

However wiith the Remington the projectile get no where near the lands as they fall out the case. Has anyone got any suggestions to address situation

Cheers

Peter D

Personally, I would start by seating the bullet in the case .308" and working it out .030" at a time to a minimum of .218" in the case. I'd do so in minimum groups of 5 shots per seating depth and stick with the depth that shot
the best group.

Doherp, I too just started loading for a 308Win. (Browning A-bolt II) again, have loaded this cartridge in the distant past. With mine I can seat them to touch the lands but when seated at this OAL they won't fit the magazine. I ran into this situation with a Rem model 600 chambered in 6mmRem and found a load without much trouble that will shoot quite well with a significant amount of bullet jump. I wanted to seat bullets in the 308 (Speer 165g BTSP) 0.010" off the rifling but to fit the mag I have to seat them 0.150" off. I am using IMR4064 powder and haven't been to the range with it yet but hope they will shoot well. Although I prefer to seat close to the lands, I am sure a long free-bore doesn't mean an accurate load can't be found but may require more looking. With the above mentioned 6mm I had first loaded close to the lands (0.010") for a .625" group at 100 yds using IMR4350 but when loaded to fit the mag the group opened up to 1.5". The fix I found was switching to H4895 and with the bullets seated to fit the mag the rifle was back to .625". If Roy Weatherby can make his rifle and ammo shoot well with a ton of free-bore I will find a way to make it work. You could take the rifle to a Smith and have the barrel set back and re-chambered but that is costly and may not be necessary. Hope you can make it work without too much screaming. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.