.308 seating depth for 168gr berger

AP218

I am trying to work up a load with some 168 gr Berger VLDs. I loaded them long as I could to get them in my box magazine of a remington 700 adl. That put them at 2.830 overall length. They are pretty far off the rifleing. my first groups were about 1 1/4 inch at 100 yrds. I started with 39.0 gr of IMR 3031 and worked up to 43.0. My best groups were with 39.0 and 40.0 grains. I plan to narrow down the powder charge from here. Should I load them longer before I try to narrow down the loads.

Advice please

Thanks.

I have always found the best accuracy with a powder that produced the velocity I wanted then I start playing around with seating depth. The VLDs will shoot a long ways off the lands. Read the sticky at the top of the page about seating Berger bullets.

What you have now could be meaningless.
Since you're not going to reach the lands, I would just go with any load of your choosing and find best seating using Berger's method.
Then, I'd start incremental load development with powder changes.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.