Remington 700 mag options

GeorgiaBoy

Hi all I'm new to building rifles but decided to after not being able to find a rifle that I truly liked everything about so now I'm starting two new rifle builds one will be in .243 using a LH short action for the girlfriend as she doesn't really care if she can shoot 1/4" MOA as long as she can kill a deer at 100 yards, as for mine I'm trying to decide between the magnum calibers and was wondering if there was any way to have a R700 Long action with a detachable magazine other than the accuracy international chassis systems? I know allot of people are going to ask why a box mag and it's because I like the convenience of them I just like being able to carry some extra rounds and not need to worry aout the noise from loose rounds or a box that won't fit in my pocket that the rounds rattle in or as has happened in the past, loosing forever the rounds in the elastic holders on the sling or stock when going through heavy brush. also any advice on the magnum calibers would be appreciated as the largest caliber I own is a .30-06, which can reach out there but it's no .338 Lapua mag.

7mm Rem Mag, 300wm, or the ever reliable and fun 7mm STW which has a very large following here amongst the membership including myself. Just a phenomenal long range caliber particularly for deer/antelope sized game at any range and easily handles elk to 800yds and beyond.

As for magazines, Wyatt's makes a quality product.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/35...-action-308-winchester-5-round-aluminum-black

Personally I do not like DBM's on a hunting rifle, too easy for it to fall out and I've never had a situation in the field where I needed more than the 3-4 rds that a normal BDL magbox gives me.

It's also a hell of a lot cheaper to just get a leather ammo holder and stick it in your pocket or stick one round in each of several pockets which also prevents them from rattling around.

Thanks for the input, to be honest I haven't ever needed more rounds than the internal mag has but when I was a Boy Scout we learned to always be prepared so I look at it as I would rather have them and not need them, I will look at the 7mm STW I don't know much about it but I saw there's a special area for it so I'll start looking. Thanks again for the input :)

Thanks for the input, to be honest I haven't ever needed more rounds than the internal mag has but when I was a Boy Scout we learned to always be prepared so I look at it as I would rather have them and not need them, I will look at the 7mm STW I don't know much about it but I saw there's a special area for it so I'll start looking. Thanks again for the input :)
Same here, but I'm counting on a one shot kill and if I fail to do so there are at least two if not three in the internal mag. I also carry a spare round in each of several pockets as a rule. The little folding leather shell carriers wil hold from 5-10 as well.

I've had several DBM's and if they hang below the stock they are always in the way and if they do not, like on some of the Rem Factory customs they ted to fall out quite often due to the type of release they have.

I've just gotten tired of dealing with both so it's back to just living with the internal box mag's vs the DBM's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.