Remington 700 BDL internal box magazine... Grrrrrr ! ! !

JimD

Hey everybody.

I don't even remember when I got my first Remington 700.

But, somehow, there's one thing I managed to NEVER learned how to do!

If, for whatever reason I remove the bottom metal (hinged floorplate) and internal box magazine,
I HAVE THE #%!&@ of a time getting it back in! (the internal box magazine)

My standard procedure is to grunt and grumble and snort for about a half an hour
and then somehow, something I do will work and I will find that the internal box magazine has somehow, sort of magically, just slipped into place.

WHAT'S GOING ON?

Anybody know?

Anybody have an approach to this that will take me from beginning to magical ending
without the 30 minute middle part of grumbling and sweating blood.

I am OBVIOUSLY doing something wrong, approaching the whole thing wrong,
but I don't know what it is.

Help?

JimD

Instead of holding it horizontally, while fighting it, I have had better results by putting it butt down on a table. Some rifle's inletting makes for it being a PITA.

Instead of holding it horizontally, while fighting it, I have had better results by putting it butt down on a table. Some rifle's inletting makes for it being a PITA. Well it's that or SOMETHING!

Thanks dok,
Just for the record, I'm usually doing this with the rifle laying upside down in a "cradle" (whatever).
It looks so simple:
- put the internal box magazine in place
- put the hinged floorplate bottom metal in place
- action screws
- voila!

Couldn't be simpler. :mad:

JimD

I always place the rifle in the up rite position, install the mag box in the action and ease the barreled action down into the stock with the bullet follower open and out of the mag box.

The mag box sometimes has to be squeezed into action rails. when installed properly,There should be a little slack in the mag box so it does not push against the floor metal.

J E CUSTOM

I use a versacradle. I put the mag in the bottom metal and fit the bottom metal then drop in the action. I still have to fiddle with it at times.

I put a little spring out into it then put it into the action then ease it into the stock then bottom metal and screws. You get real fast when you pull one out a thousand times to tune the feed cycle on something that was never made to feed staggered.

Last edited:
"My standard procedure is to grunt and grumble and snort for about a half an hour
and then somehow, something I do will work and I will find that the internal box magazine has somehow, sort of magically, just slipped into place." :)

Sounds like me trying to get the clock in my car changed to/from daylight savings time.

Hey everybody.

I don't even remember when I got my first Remington 700.

But, somehow, there's one thing I managed to NEVER learned how to do!

If, for whatever reason I remove the bottom metal (hinged floorplate) and internal box magazine,
I HAVE THE #%!&@ of a time getting it back in! (the internal box magazine)

My standard procedure is to grunt and grumble and snort for about a half an hour
and then somehow, something I do will work and I will find that the internal box magazine has somehow, sort of magically, just slipped into place.

WHAT'S GOING ON?

Anybody know?

Anybody have an approach to this that will take me from beginning to magical ending
without the 30 minute middle part of grumbling and sweating blood.

I am OBVIOUSLY doing something wrong, approaching the whole thing wrong,
but I don't know what it is.

Help?

JimD

Glad I'm not the only one.....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.