remington 700 Action Screw torque?

Bigeclipse

Hey guys, I posted this a few months back and never really received an answer so I am trying one more time. I have the newer remington 700 mountain SS rifle (made new in 2013), not older one. This comes with a greyish Bell and Carlson synthetic stock that I believe is aluminum bedded? Im Not completely sure, but looking at bell and carlson websites it appears most of their remington line stocks have aluminum bedding blocks. Anyways, i called remington customer service and they said ALL their remington 700 line of rifles are supposed to be torqued at 35in pounds...this doesnt seem right as many of the different remington rifles are bedded differently and some arent at all. What are your thoughts? Mine is currently torqued front and back at 35in pounds. I have been working up some loads for it and have found a few that shoot OK ~1moa. I want to make sure my action screws arent causing inconsistancy in my loads. Thanks!

Here's a good rule of thumb for Remington 700's.

Wood stock - 45 in. lbs.
Wood stock w/ aluminum pillars - 65 in. lbs.
synthetic stock w/ aluminum pillars or aluminum bed block - 65 in. lbs.

before I torque down to that much, is there a way I can check to make sure I actually have aluminum pillars/bed block? Secondly, I read somewhere someone mentioning you should torque one bolt half way, then the other, then back to the first bolt and torque it all the way and then torque the other down. If so, which bolt should I start with, the one closest or furthest from the trigger group? Thanks again!

If not bedded and in a synthetic or wood stock without pillars, i torque them to 40 in lbs.
If it is bedded with pillars i go 50 in lbs. if it has s bedding block and is skim bedded, i torque to 40 in lbs.

before I torque down to that much, is there a way I can check to make sure I actually have aluminum pillars/bed block? Secondly, I read somewhere someone mentioning you should torque one bolt half way, then the other, then back to the first bolt and torque it all the way and then torque the other down. If so, which bolt should I start with, the one closest or furthest from the trigger group? Thanks again!
I do that with mine. If it's one of mine in a synthetic stock with an aluminum block, then I tighten them both down finger-tight to make sure they're lined up. Then I torque the front screw to 30, then the rear to 30, then the front to 65, then they rear to 65.

If not bedded and in a synthetic or wood stock without pillars, i torque them to 40 in lbs.
If it is bedded with pillars i go 50 in lbs. if it has s bedding block and is skim bedded, i torque to 40 in lbs.

I do that with mine. If it's one of mine in a synthetic stock with an aluminum block, then I tighten them both down finger-tight to make sure they're lined up. Then I torque the front screw to 30, then the rear to 30, then the front to 65, then they rear to 65.

Real Guns - Remington's Model 700 Mountain SS Part 1

this is a review of my actual gun and they show some pictures of the stock bedding. Would you say that is aluminum bedding?

That is an aluminum bedding block, so i would torque to 40 in lbs. if it were bedded (with a bedding epoxy) i would go 50 in lbs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 3,582

Here's a good rule of thumb for Remington 700's.

Wood stock - 45 in. lbs.
Wood stock w/ aluminum pillars - 65 in. lbs.
synthetic stock w/ aluminum pillars or aluminum bed block - 65 in. lbs.

I dont want to start a war bud MudRunner is suggesting 65in/lbs and barnesuser is suggesting 40in/lbs...now im even more confused...could each of you explain why or why not for 40/65? again no fighting/arguing just curious...thanks!

Sure, since the bedding block isnt an exact fit to your particular action, but rather a v shaped block that wedges the action in, i dont like to put so much torque on the action that it may introduce excess stress into the action, which is never good for accuracy. A member on here said it only takes 3 in lbs to bend a rem 700 action...

Also, since the block is V shaped, it may or may not slightly deform the bottom of the action if to much torque is applied (where that limit is, i dont know).

Riley

My gunsmith is a pro, has been smithing for 30+ years, and been a machinist for over 45, and has never steered me wrong. He is the 700 guru. He uses 65 inch pounds on synthetic w/ a bedding block....I'm gonna use 65 inch pounds.

That's my reasoning. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.