Remington 700 accuracy

Chrisvierling

I have a stock remington 700 and am not totally impressed with the accuracy. If I replace the stock with a bell and Carlson, and the trigger with a timney, what kind of accuracy improvements will I see?

I have a stock remington 700 and am not totally impressed with the accuracy. If I replace the stock with a bell and Carlson, and the trigger with a timney, what kind of accuracy improvements will I see?

What kind of groups?

Are you reloading for this rifle?

There are too many variables to say your groups will go from x to y, but a stock swap will most likely improve accuracy with proper fitting.

The trigger upgrade could be an improvement, but given the lack of info I don't think anyone can say your trigger is the problem. There are lots of factory triggers out there shooting accurately. What is your current trigger problem?

I'm not looking for exact numbers or anything but it shoots a 1.25moa group basically everytime with federal gmm. The stock trigger is the xmark pro, n

Trigger and stock might help. 1.25" for and out of the box rifle with factory ammo. It definitely has potential. I think with the proper hand load it will do better..

If you free up that barrel channel and put a good load in her, you will be looking at under MOA. No need for a B&C stock, you can bed the factory one and a Timney is a great trigger but if you can get use to the X-Mark than that'll save you $100+.

Trigger and stock might help. 1.25" for and out of the box rifle with factory ammo. It definitely has potential. I think with the proper hand load it will do better..

x2. For example I shot at least 5 different factory loads out of a factory savage barrel and couldn't do better than about 1.5". I reloaded and now it is capable of about 0.6" w/ a factory sav trigger to boot.

No doubt I think your upgrades will improve the guns performance but finding the right load is monumental. Some guns eat up factory loads, some are more picky.

It took a barrel to fix my 1 1/4 Rem 700. Free floating made it worse. Stock, bedded action, and reloads didn't do much.

I thought I had a 1moa rifle which is what the company guaranteed. It shot that with numerous factory brands and hand loads off a bipod. Then I got a good rear bag turns out I have a rifle that shoots in the .3s

Most Of the time the problem with factory rifles is the chambers and/or the barrels. ammo can make a huge difference,so I recommend trying different brands of ammo and the lighter bullets (Light weight barrels normally shoot better with light to average weight bullets).

I had a great example of that with a factory Sendero I bought years ago. it was a 7 mag and at the time Federal premium ammo was considered to be the best in 7 mm rem mag.

The short version was it would not best 1MOA. so I tried Hornady custom ammo and it went to
an average group size of 2'' at 500 yards (The best I could shoot).

Try different ammo and bullet weights and you may find something it loves.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

Alright so I guess the new question is will the acuacy gained by putting a new stock and trigger in it be worth the $400? From what it sounds like the answer is no.

Alright so I guess the new question is will the acuacy gained by putting a new stock and trigger in it be worth the $400? From what it sounds like the answer is no.

Barrel breaking in is important
Glass bedding the action works on most
If it will not shoot with the barrel free floated get rid of it
Before altering anything have a gunsmith check the muzzle crown chamber headspace and the bore and lap the lugs
You MUST handload for accuracy

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.