Remington 700 5R stainless

Sean H

Just bought a new Remington 700 stainless. What chassis or aftermarket stock do you guys think works best with this. Not trying to hunt but doing more precision and benchrest shooting.

I have a few questions for you first.

What cartridge did you get the rifle in?
Do you have a budget?
I assume you shot it with the HS stock it came with, and it didn't fit you right or something?

I bought it in .308. Not really, but i dont wanna get crazy. It shoots fine and the stock is ok but from everything im reading there are better choices out there for accuracy and comfort but most of all looks .

Just bought a new Remington 700 stainless. What chassis or aftermarket stock do you guys think works best with this. Not trying to hunt but doing more precision and benchrest shooting.

Its personal preference, but if your chasing accuracy, the hs precision stock is up there with the best. For like $160 you can send it back to hs precision and they will paint it in one of their custom camo's. I had that done a couple years ago on a vssf II in 204 ruger - I went with the urban camo and I thought it looked sick.

You can take the money you saved and buy a triggertech for it. Thats what I would do anyway:)

If you want something different AG composites have some cool options and paint jobs. There is always your favorite flavor of McMillan and Manners etc.

I am not a big fan of chassis, so somebody else will have to chime in.

Last edited:
Overkill338,
They are, that's one of the reasons I asked. The other being HS stocks don't fit everybody, and I assumed there may have been a fitment issue to the OP that was affecting his accuracy.

Ok so short action chassis/stock recommendations.

Now that I know cartridge, (308 win, SA)

I assume the "not really, but I don't want to get crazy" applies to budget?

Since people have different ideas of that, would you say $1000.00 or more is "crazy"?
If so, you're going to end up getting something other than an Accuracy international, and some other top end chassis/stock offerings.

I like the MPA BA chassis myself, but that doesn't mean it's the right one for you. About $850.00 at Brownells.

You mentioned looks. Have you looked at the different chassis manufacturers and found anything visually appealing to you? Are you more of a traditional stock shooter, looking for full adjustability, or would an aluminum chassis be more where you are going?

Overkill338,
They are, that's one of the reasons I asked. The other being HS stocks don't fit everybody, and I assumed there may have been a fitment issue to the OP that was affecting his accuracy.

Ok so short action chassis/stock recommendations.

Now that I know cartridge, (308 win, SA)

I assume the "not really, but I don't want to get crazy" applies to budget?

Since people have different ideas of that, would you say $1000.00 or more is "crazy"?
If so, you're going to end up getting something other than an Accuracy international, and some other top end chassis/stock offerings.

I like the MPA BA chassis myself, but that doesn't mean it's the right one for you. About $850.00 at Brownells.

You mentioned looks. Have you looked at the different chassis manufacturers and found anything visually appealing to you? Are you more of a traditional stock shooter, looking for full adjustability, or would an aluminum chassis be more where you are going?
When I start building my first custom, I will look for someone like him to buy a stock from. I absolutely LOVED the one on my Sendero SF-II. Although I like the green spackle on the VSSF-II, better than the blue on the SF-II.

Lol!
My Sendero SF2 300 Win Mag shot great with the HS stock, but I wanted to change the recoil pad, and it is epoxied on. I was at about .250" groups with that factory rifle and my hand loads, swapped it with a Bell and Carlson M40 style stock I had on a Remington 700 LR in 30-06 and lo and behold my groups dropped in size to .16". The stock just fit me better is all I could come up with.

IMO, the HS Precision stock on the Milspecs have proven to be excellent, My favorite stock for Remington 700 rifles used for LR is the McMillan A3. Shown on my 300WM Milspec and Custom Remington 700 in 6.5x284
684551A2-4662-4D2C-8555-BA94705C88A0.jpeg A0845CBE-1BDB-45AE-9BBD-11BD108CE860.jpeg

Absolutely nothing wrong with the HS Precision stocks. Other than a top tier custom stock, these are the best for its price point. As far as effecting accuracy and etc, most shooters can not tell a difference. If you need the stock modified such as length reduction and/or paint they will do it at an affordable price. This year I had a stock shortened and repainted and it cost me @ $120 including shipping. Love mine!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.