Remington 5R Nearing Completion

brentc

Here is my Remington 700 5R 300 Win Mag that is currently in progress. This rifle was factory built in April 2011. I bought it in like new condition from Gunbroker a few weeks ago. It is bedded into the factory stock, with a tuned Rifle Basix trigger and a Suppressed Armament Systems Muzzle Brake/Suppressor attachment to mount a SAS Titanium Arbiter once my tax stamp gets approved.

The barreled action and bottom metal is cerakoted OD green to coincide with the green webbing in the stock. The scope is a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMOA utilizing a mark 4 base and rings.

P1070444.jpg

P1070438.jpg

The target below is picture taken during load development yesterday using 4 shot groups at 110 yards using Retumbo and 230 Berger tactical hybrids. Accuracy started coming in at 77.5 grains and at 78.0 grains it all came together with duplicating velocities. I need to take it out to long range, but needless to say, I'm a bit surprised with it so far.

I've shot quite a bit of H1000 through it as well, but the accuracy and expected velocity did not correspond. I was able to get 1/2 MOA with 73.0 grains of H1000 but it was about 100 fps slower than I expected at 2660 fps with less than desirable velocity spreads. I worked it up to 76.0 grains but the 1/2 MOA accuracy never came back and velocity declined after 75.5 grains. Therefore, I decided to give Retumbo a try.

I'm planning to take it out tomorrow to shoot through the suppressor that currently resides with my class II dealer friend.

Here are the load details. As always, work up with caution.

300 Win Mag
230 Berger OTM tactical
78.0 grains Retumbo
Once fired Remington Brass with shoulder bumped .001
Federal 215 Primer
.005 into the lands
No obvious pressure signs
2886 fps through chronograph
P1070446.jpg

Last edited:
I am sure you will like yours as much as I like mine. I am developing hunting loads for mine with 180gr. Accubonds and H4831, already have a long range target load. It shoots exceptionally well out to 900.
What improvements have you made to it thus far?

I am sure you will like yours as much as I like mine. I am developing hunting loads for mine with 180gr. Accubonds and H4831, already have a long range target load. It shoots exceptionally well out to 900.
What improvements have you made to it thus far?

I installed and tuned the Rifle Basix trigger and bedded the action into the stock with Devcon. Other than cosmetic changes in the color, that's about it. The 230 load will be my everything load. Although I have fired a few 210s through it with good success, I really just wanted the 230s to shine for about anything I wanted to do with it.

That's a good start. Mine is bedded, Jewell trigger, muzzle threaded for suppressor w thread protector. Also have a Badger Thruster brake for it. It is scoped with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50 in Nf rings and on NF 20 MOA mount.

Nice target, brentc! I'm glad to hear of your success with the 230gr Bergers. I was considering them for my 5r after I worked up a hunting load. I just wasn't sure whether the 26" barrel was enough to make those 230gr bergers work in the 300wm, but with those velocities, it really should be a great load for looooooong shots.

Two questions for you: did you notice a difference when you skim-bedded your factory stock? And, with those bergers into the lands, how close is that load from fitting into your magazine?

Chris

Nice target, brentc! I'm glad to hear of your success with the 230gr Bergers. I was considering them for my 5r after I worked up a hunting load. I just wasn't sure whether the 26" barrel was enough to make those 230gr bergers work in the 300wm, but with those velocities, it really should be a great load for looooooong shots.

Two questions for you: did you notice a difference when you skim-bedded your factory stock? And, with those bergers into the lands, how close is that load from fitting into your magazine?

Chris

Thanks for the compliments. I consider the the group size as an indicator that this rifle has potential, but the actual load is not fully developed. I plan to take it out to 300 yards and further to see how it does. Also, since it's getting hot here. I'll be interested to see how it reacts. I'll probably need to drop a couple grains on the final load as it's darn near max at 75* ambient.

I'll be happy if I can get maximum consistency at around 2800 fps.

I never shot it before skim bedding. I had another bedding project going on in the same weekend and I decided to knock them both out.

The big 230's will fit and function in the factory magazine when loaded to the lands. I don't think the 230 hybrid match version will, but the OTM tacticals fit fine.

Here's a video clip of me shooting a couple shots through the suppressor.

[ame="http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr203/bacreer/Videos/?action=view&current=MVI_0379.mp4"]Videos :: MVI_0379.mp4 video by bacreer - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid484.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Frr203%2Fbacreer%2FVideos%2FMVI_0379.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid484.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Frr203%2Fbacreer%2FVideos%2FMVI_0379.mp4[/ame]

great thread, thanks for sharing! Have you been able to stretch it out? Also, you mentioned that you may have to back of the load, did you back off or stay where you were? Have you used the berger 215 hybrids? Thanks again for the video and pics!

great thread, thanks for sharing! Have you been able to stretch it out? Also, you mentioned that you may have to back of the load, did you back off or stay where you were? Have you used the berger 215 hybrids? Thanks again for the video and pics!

I stretch it out all the time. Hits are pretty much automatic if I do my part with wind. Yes, I have since backed off the load for the 230's. I run them right at 2800 fps with Retumbo. For the 215s, I run them with H4831sc at 2860. It shoots both bullets extremely well.

Nice job on the rifle, looks and shoot great! I just wrapped up testing on the same rifle. I put a Tinmey trigger in it, Elk Meadow titanium brake, and bedded the recoil lug. Mounted a NF G7 50mm, 5.5x20 scope, NF 20mm base, Mk 4 Rings. I'm awaiting an A3 McMillan to complement my 308 5R 700 that I use for competition. I ran into the same effect as you using H1000. I had .25-.5MOA tested at 300 yards but maxed out at 2750FPS, ES 15-20FPS. Using 79 gr of Retumbo, I'm at 2880FPS, and ES of 8FPS. Also shoots sub.5MOA at 300 yards. I'm using Berger Hunting 210's, Norma brass, Fed215's. I'm loaded .010" off the lands. I'm getting 5 loads neck sizing, before annealing and body sizing. No pressure signs. Like my 308, POI holds cold or hot, and maintains it for high shot counts. These a great rifles for the $$$!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.