Rem 788 worth messing with?

BenY 2013

I've got a Remington 788 in .22-250 that has some sentimental value to it. It's been re-barreled and the smith did an awful job, long story short it needs a new barrel. Do you guys think these rifles are worth sticking a new barrel on? I mean I've read lots of good things about them, just want some opinions before I spend the money having a new barrel installed on the rifle. If it is worth messing with, do you think it would be worth an extra $250 to have the action trued up? Been quoted $450 to true the action, chamber new barrel and thread muzzle, he quoted me $200 just for barrel work. Quoted $300 to install new barrel and thread muzzle from another smith. If you have any recommendations on who would do good work without breaking the bank I'm all ears. Thanks

Ben

If the gunsmith didn't screw up the action or bolt face when he threaded the barrel in I'd say go for it. The 788 action was a strong one, I knew a few fellas that bought the Rem. 788 just for the action and built a rifle around the action.

The 788 is a great action and well worth the trouble to install a new barrel.

The 22/250 uses the short action and is limited in the cartridge you can use, but if you wanted to stay with the 22/250 cartridge it would be easy to do.

I have built two 788s in 708 and 708x40 and am very impressed with the strength and short bolt throw and 60o bolt lift. Stockeys has real nice laminated stocks, and Timney makes a very good trigger replacement.

The 788 is different than the 700 and requires special tools, so some smiths may not be willing to work on them but an experienced smith should not have any trouble re barreling and blue printing
one.

I used a standard .250 700 Remington recoil lug by cutting the barrel tenon with a step diameter of 1.062 to land it on and cut the rest 1.000 to fit the action threads.

For years, the 788 was a bench rest favorite because if its strength. So in my opinion it is well worth the trouble.

J E CUSTOM

morning, the 788 was advertised as the fastest firing pin to primer striking time.

was a favorite for small rifle competition shooters. I bought one from a person

calif. that was being used for comp. shooter. had the receiver rechambered for .223AI.

cal. has a 29" SS shilen #5 contour barrel. the stock was butchered. I put on a

stocky's B&C stock. glass bedded the stock. added bird shot to the rear of the stock

for weight. very picky about bullet weight. I shoot berger 75gr. match bullets, 27.5gr.

Tack powder, fed. 205 match primers, and ww brass. extremely accurate. I"ve had

4 of these cheap rifles. $78.00 in the day. match the bullet to the barrel and u will

have a very fun little rifle. would I rebarrel, restock a rem. 788. yes I would. this rifle is a classic.

just my opinion??lightbulb:)gun)

I've got a Remington 788 in .22-250 that has some sentimental value to it. It's been re-barreled and the smith did an awful job, long story short it needs a new barrel. Do you guys think these rifles are worth sticking a new barrel on? I mean I've read lots of good things about them, just want some opinions before I spend the money having a new barrel installed on the rifle. If it is worth messing with, do you think it would be worth an extra $250 to have the action trued up? Been quoted $450 to true the action, chamber new barrel and thread muzzle, he quoted me $200 just for barrel work. Quoted $300 to install new barrel and thread muzzle from another smith. If you have any recommendations on who would do good work without breaking the bank I'm all ears. Thanks

Ben

Probably worth doing, especially since it has "sentimental value". Use a known brand name barrel blank. Just don't expect a gunsmith to work for less than the dog catcher,,,,,,, or the lawn mower shop that's working on your new, zero turn riding mower. The 'smith that did the "awful job" on the current barrel should "stand good" for his work.

BenY 2013,

There is nothing wrong with building on a rifle which has sentimental attachment for you. The M788 is a strong action but suffers from a weakly attached bolt handle. This is not a terrible thing, it simply means that you should avoid any extremely high pressure loads in this action. Guys that tried to push the pressure envelop would wind up with an extremely hard bolt lift and the bolt handle might snap off at the joint.

I've owned and built about a dozen rifles on the M788 actions from the .222 Rem. through the 6mm Rem. Have the gunsmith check all the surfaces and the threads before attempting to 'blueprint' these actions. Occasionally there is very little to be done so don't automatically assume that the entire process needs to be done. Your action should be checked carefully in case the original 'smith didn't perform up to par. Lapping 9 lugs into perfect contact is virtually impossible so if necessary, do a check lap before deciding on your plan.

When handled correctly, these actions can perform with extreme accuracy. Don't skimp on the barrel. Be sure to have a great bedding job done. Then enjoy!

Here is a little additional extraneous information:

EXTRA LONG ACTION 788'S......243, 6MM, 7MM-08, 308

Redfield 1-Piece Standard Scope Base Remington 788 <Extra Long Action Gloss>
This is for the 243, 6mm 7mm-08, 308....

The .243, 7mm-08, and 308 also take the same "3 Round" magazine

The 6mm takes it own Different 3 round magazine

The 243, 7mm-08, 308, 6mm all take the same stock...So I believe they are all EXTRA LONG ACTION

>>>>> STOCKS WERE MADE OF BIRCH <<<<<

LONG ACTION 22-250, 222, 223, 30-30, 44 Remington Magnum

Redfield 1-Piece Standard Scope Base Remington 788 <Long Action Gloss>

This is for the 222, 22-250, 223.....The 222 and 223 can use the same "4 ROUND"magazine
The 22-250, 30-30, 44 Rem Mag, All have there own seperate "3 ROUND"magazines

The 22-250, 222, 223, 30-30 take the same stock

The 44 Rem. Mag has its own stock and its own magazine

Barrel length....

Early model 243, 6mm 7mm-08, 308's had 22" / 24" and maybe some 20" Barrels

Later model .243, 308, 7mm-08 were Carbines and had 18.5" Barrels

22-250, 222, and 223's had 24" Barrels

44 Rem Magnum's had 22" Barrels

30-30's had 22" Barrels

Midway has both Redfield and Weaver one piece mounts in Long Action and Extra Long Action

The #'s for the Weaver two piece mounts are...
#75 (8-40) Thread
#76 (1/2)

Regards.

I appreciate all of the replies! I think I am going to go ahead and proceed with the build as money allows. Still trying to nail down a caliber but I'm thinking .22-250 at the moment(it's already that caliber and I have brass a small amount of brass for it). Although I'm open to suggestions that fit that size action and bolt face.

I've contacted several smiths about pricing and all seem to be right around the $300 mark. I figure I'll do the barrel work first, order a Timney trigger and an EGW 20 MOA base. Stick with this stock until I can afford another, I noticed McMillan inlets for the action so may end up with one of those one day. I think it will be a pretty nice rifle when all said and done.

Ben

I appreciate all of the replies! I think I am going to go ahead and proceed with the build as money allows. Still trying to nail down a caliber but I'm thinking .22-250 at the moment(it's already that caliber and I have brass a small amount of brass for it). Although I'm open to suggestions that fit that size action and bolt face.

I've contacted several smiths about pricing and all seem to be right around the $300 mark. I figure I'll do the barrel work first, order a Timney trigger and an EGW 20 MOA base. Stick with this stock until I can afford another, I noticed McMillan inlets for the action so may end up with one of those one day. I think it will be a pretty nice rifle when all said and done.

Ben

Like the others have said, it's a great action to build on. If you are going to go through the trouble, might want to look into the .22-250 Ackley Improved. There are many advantages to AI cartridge design, other than the increased speed, which is also nice. You can even form brass from the .22-250 cases you already have. The only thing you'll need to do different is learn to fire-form brass, and buy some different dies. But if you are wanting to keep it the original .22-250 there's nothing wrong with that either. I had one years ago, and have been wanting to build another one someday.

If you plan on pushing the heavier bullets for longer range varmint or deer hunting, you might want to consider a tighter twist, like the 1:7 or 1:8.

A good name barrel blank like a Bartlein, Rock Creek, Brux, Proof Research, Krieger, Pac-Nor, Hart, or Shilen are all good options.

I also have a 788 that is very sentimental to me, not to hijack the thread. Mine is a 308 that I bought back in 1982 brand new for $225. I see that they make a Timney trigger for it now and Boyd's has some nice looking laminated stocks. Mine has taken some unbelievable shots at countless deer. I have a cheap aftermarket stock on it since the birch stock lost a lot of its finish. I am going to add the Timney trigger and a forest colored laminated stock from Boyd's. It has an 18.5 inch barrel. I may jump up to a 20" barrel. I love my 788.

788 in 22-250 was one of my most favorite rifles. Factory trigger sucked but I worked mine over then bought a timney later on. I bought this rifle when I was 15 and kept it till I was 42 just before I moved to Texas (I still can't believe I let him talk me out of it). I wish I still had it. Mine had a 1 in 14 twist so it only liked light bullets but it liked them a lot. I swear mine had a 26" barrel but I've never seen another that did so I'm likely mistaken.

If I was you I would do whatever it takes to keep it functional, especially if it has sentimental value.

788 is a great action to work with. I'v always wanted to bulid one with a Savage round like the 250-300. These days I think a 243 or a 7mm08 would be fine. My buddy just chimed in do a Creedmoor in 6 or 6.5. Good luck and don't let anyone tell you that action is junk.

What brand was the second barrel? If I wanted to go cheap, I would take it to a good smith, and have him rechamber it to 22-250AI. This could be done without cutting the barrel shank off, thus shortening the barrel. The cost would or should, be much less. Just fire your old brass in the new chamber to fire form,

Ben

I bought 3 stocks for the 788 from Stockystocks and really like them.
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks-by-brand/stocky-s/laminated-woo.html.

These are made/inleted for the 788 and finished nice and less than $200.00 dollars

J E CUSTOM