Rem 721 Custom

swebb38

Hey Guys,
New to the Forum, Love it so far and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from you. I have 2 Rem 721's in 300 H&H, being my favorite Cal. I am thinking of going to a longer range gun and was wondering what you guys think of the action and if anyone had created any LR guns with the action. I also shoot the Encore Pistol in 300 H&H with a 15" barrel from Fox Ridge. I havent done any LR stuff with it yet because recoil is quite substantial with the factory muzzle tamer from Foxridge. I have broken rings twice and will have to go to a new setup, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Guys,
New to the Forum, Love it so far and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from you. I have 2 Rem 721's in 300 H&H, being my favorite Cal. I am thinking of going to a longer range gun and was wondering what you guys think of the action and if anyone had created any LR guns with the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome 300H&H,

Kirby Allen build a 270 AM around my aged 721 action which started life as an .06. 30" Lilja #7 w/6 flutes. Needless to say, its a shooter.
The only thing I don't like about the 721 is the center screw. All my REMs have been converted to single shot and ADL magazineless stocks thus don't need or want the center screw.

BTW, whatcha doin' shootin' such a puny handgun? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The 721's I have all ended up with some sort of custom bolt handle that's a little longer. The 721 seems to be just short enough to be wierd in some of the larger stocks. I mention it because it's a cheap upgrade and might save you down time if you do it with the original build.

Thanks Roy and all the other guys. The bolt lengthening will save some time. Puny handgun? Dang things kissed me twice. I need to definitly get a Holland if it will work with a 7mm Dak. Xp100 I think has got the right setup...If anyone knows how to get one of those pistols let me know. I will buy one for Colorado next year

[ QUOTE ]
So Roy, where does the front trigger guard screw go?

[/ QUOTE ]

In one of my little bins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Before I learned of pillar + skim bedding that **** middle screw always gave me the vapors (read anxiety attacks) I never really knew how to adjust it as I probably did a less than excellent bedding job. As a carry over from that in my AM I just don't use it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've been thinking about building something inside the stock and using an appropriate screw just to fill the hole in the front of the trigger guard without affecting the center of the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.