Rem 700sa replacement stock and bottom metal/mag

62flint

I have a nice shooting factory 700 sa. I had it in a chassis but it was just to heavy for my taste, Thinking of going back to a conventional stock, would entertain a chassis if it was light. What I found out is I can load much longer with AICS mags than I can with the factory bottom metal. Looked at greyboe stocks and bottom metal as well as manners and McMillian. looking for thoughts on greyboe stocks and stocks in general, just can not make my mind up. To many choices. Any options on BDL type bottom metal that will accept longer loads?
Thanks

I have a nice shooting factory 700 sa. I had it in a chassis but it was just to heavy for my taste, Thinking of going back to a conventional stock, would entertain a chassis if it was light. What I found out is I can load much longer with AICS mags than I can with the factory bottom metal. Looked at greyboe stocks and bottom metal as well as manners and McMillian. looking for thoughts on greyboe stocks and stocks in general, just can not make my mind up. To many choices. Any options on BDL type bottom metal that will accept longer loads?
Thanks
I run ACIS metal MDT mags with out the front bar, in my Rem SA 308 Win at 2.980" COAL ten round, works great. Its Magpul & plastic but it can be made to fit a BDL easily. I posted all the details on improving the 308. A little bit of simple gunsmithing... it's not drop-in but cheap. I do not know if they offer their magazines in the fat Short magnums. These work on any 308 based cartridge heads, even the 6 mm dasher with a installed spacer works great

Look at the options offered by PT&G, they make all different bottom metal to suit any number of DBM, BDL and M5 style stuff. They also have blued steel, stainless steel or aluminium.
When I was building rifles, these are who I used.

Cheers.

Check out wyatt's outdoor. They make internal boxes that will accommodate up to like 3.0" depending on what cartridge you use for bdl setups and the do offer detachable mag setups as well.
Grayboe stocks are not even close to the same level as Mcmillan or Manners. They are decent, serviceable stocks but for the small price difference I would use Mcmillan or Manners.

Check out Hawkins bottom metal site, $217 with pillars to bed for short actions, detachable AICS mags sold separately.. I bought a Wyatts, for internal box , its just kinda OK IMO.
The plastic Magpul is really inexpensive to set up like $65 or a detachable mag MDT 2.980" for $75 and your done....will work on the BDL. And works slick, on a working rifle and looks fine with the used HS precision stock. Lots of options depending on how much ya want to spend.

I just had a SA Rem 700 built into a MTD XRS chassis. Light weight, about 4 lbs and great adjustability.

I cannot speak to the greyboe stocks as I have zero experience with them. I run HS precision on all mine that are not chassis. I have run Mcmillian and Manners both. I prefer the Manners stock with the mini chassis. None of those options are light once you add the bottom metal. As for the chassis option my latest build is going in a KRG X-ray, less than 3 lbs and no bottom metal.

If you choose to go with Manners or another stock, for bottom metal I would go with Hawkins Precision or Atlasworks. They are both good options.

Grayboe makes a great stock. Some are heavy and some are not! Just like Manners and McMillan stocks have models that are "heavy". I own a few Manners, I own a few McMillans and I own a few Grayboe stocks. All are quality stocks. I would say the Manners is best IMO. You can't go wrong with the Grayboe Phoenix, Eagle, or the Trekker, I really like the Trekker. Look at Mesa Precision as well. Grayboe bottom metals are quality.

With a M5 bottom metal you can run a SA AccurateMag without the binder plate and get 2.99 OAL.

A Wyatt's internal extended box for BDL will give you the added length but may require some modifications to the bottom of your Remmy action.

Last edited:
Greyboe stocks will accept any Wyatt extended magazine so there is no issue there. Since it was in a chassis I'm guessing you have a varmint barrel contour?

For a Rem SA to gain the ability to load long, Wyatt's is the way to go. But installing any of these probably requires milling out the bottom of the receiver. So if going with any of them, go with the longest. I had a Baney Mag Box (https://wyattsoutdoor.com/product/3-100″-baney-coal-kit/ ) installed. It allows a COAL of about 3.1". May also need to adjust the feed ramp angle to allow propper feeding.

Put it in a McMillan Game Warden with Adj cheek piece. It was the Edge fill so light stock, but added the weight of the adj cheek piece. Worth it??? It is all relative. It isn't cheap. If you are not loading to the lands and are only using factory length cartridges probably not. May also require longer/special throating length to take advantage of the "extra" length you give it. If not, then any factory SA BDL is the way to go.

I just had a SA Rem 700 built into a MTD XRS chassis. Light weight, about 4 lbs and great adjustability.
I would also look at the KRG Bravo stock/chassis