Rem 700 Varmint 308

KoltenKaslynn

I'm new to this site but wanted to share and get any info on a build I'm doing with my late fathers rifle. So here's what I'm putting on it. Remington 700V .308 Stocky's Nextgen Ultralite Carbon Fiber VG2 stock, Leupold vx-3i 8.5-25-50 MOA scope, Ken Farrell rings and base. Whats you all thoughts.

That's a solid build so far. What are you doing for the trigger? I'd recommend a good aftermarket trigger like a Triggertech or Timney. You can have a gunsmith tune the X-Mark trigger or do it yourself if you're able to.

What are you planning to do with this build? Hard to give you any advice since we don't know what, where, how big what, and how far whatever you're trying to kill is. Or is this a ring steel rig?

Really just wanting to play around, Target shooting from 200 to 600 for now. I pretty much archery hunt, but might use this to fill a doe tag next year.

Sounds like you have a solid set up then. Like previously mentioned I would have a smith do a trigger or just drop in a Timney 510. You'll be golden.

Welcome to LRH and sound like you've got yourself a nice "stick". The .308 is a solid, tried and true round. Lot's of load data for targets and hunting worked out for it already in reloading manuals and the internet (check out https://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html).
That big Leupold will be right at home setting up there and you shouldn't have any problems getting to 1000yds, if that's your plan.
Again, welcome aboard.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.