Rem 700 UML & the New H340ELDX šŸ˜šŸ¤™

Swapped scopes on the Rem 700 UML. Gave my brother the Sightron S-Tac III 3x-16x-42mm scope that was on the gun (excellent scope BTW), and replaced it with a Leupold VX5HD 3x-15x-44mm Wind Plex model.

Quip range trip to get it sighted back in. This is my last four shots. I shoulda stopped at three, but just had to try to get the fourth in there as well. Three went into 1/2", the the fourth opened it up to 1.00". Either way I'm still happy.

Gun shoots very well and kicks like a mule with the stout charge of BH209.

Attachments

• 4305CA1A-0DC3-4B88-9B15-9D6245CDEE21.jpeg
    4305CA1A-0DC3-4B88-9B15-9D6245CDEE21.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 39
Managed to poke a hole in a small buck today. Hard quartering shot at a close range of about 30-35 yds. Recovered the bullet in the offside ham.

Long story short, I shot the wrong buck (I won't take time to explain fully but spotted a big 8pt, waited on him to come into an opening, which it appeared he turned and came a different route; at that point I was focused on making the shot as soon as he moved into an opening. What I didn't realize is there were two bucksā€¦., and I shot the wrong oneā€¦). At any rate, I put this one on the ground.

Muzzle velocity is about 2125 fps in my REM 700 UML with BH209.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpeg
    IMG_0110.jpeg
    710.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 72019578689__C7DBBAD8-8C0D-4856-A99F-BDECB7A8B9A3.jpeg
    72019578689__C7DBBAD8-8C0D-4856-A99F-BDECB7A8B9A3.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 52
Today, I added a doe to the freezer using the H340ELDX. 62 yd shot, hard quartering towards me. Doe had head turned slightly to her right as well. Bullet impacted frontal area in the neck and exited her left side rib cage, taking out both lungs. Lungs were trashed. No bullet was recovered. She dropped at the shot.

So far, at least for a sample size of two, this bullet is working well.

Attachments

• 72037422359__4F27E389-A893-4E22-B0B1-C70772989314.jpeg
    72037422359__4F27E389-A893-4E22-B0B1-C70772989314.jpeg
    490 KB · Views: 28
I added another doe today to the H340ELDX kills. This one was a spine shot that traveled down the length of the back for about 12" before exiting with a fist sized exit. Deer was facing me and bullet impact was on the high side. She dropped at the shot.

Range trip today with a ML I've had for nearly three years and had yet to fire a single shot from it until today.

I left happy. šŸ¤“

Gun is a Remington 700 UML. I modified the stock (removed the right hand cheekpiece - I'm a lefty shooter - and slimmed up the forend). I also installed pullars and bedded the stock.

I replaced the factory breechplug with an Arrowhead breechplug since I planned to shoot BH209.

I had collected a couple bullets to try from the gun as well as had on hand the Remington bullets supplied with the gun. However, none of those were bullets I really wanted to shoot.

I kept eyeballing various bullets from different manufacturers but never ordered any. Being a 50 cal, there were limited choices compared to 45 cal, particularly if one wanted to shoot full bore diameter bullets.

Fast forward to late 2022, Hornady made the announcement they were coming out with a new product for 2023, the 340 ELDX bullet for 50 cal ML's. So I waited, and waited some more. Finally, I got my hands on some.

Today, I shot the gun for the first time after purchasing it nearly three years ago.

I started with 102.5gr by weight of BH209 to get the gun on paper. First shot was low by 14", so I dialed up 14 MOA and shot again. I had only 4 shots of the 102.5 gr weight to shoot and so I used those for scope adjustments.

After getting dialed pretty close, I then shot three at 105.0 gr by weight, and shot a 3-shot group of 1.1875". Not too shabby, I thought.

I reached for the next step up in charge weight, this time being 107.5 gr by weight. Three shots later I was ecstatic! My brother and I walked down to the target setup at 100 yards and retrieved the paper target.

This gun is ready to hunt.
Hey Buttermilk I'm new to BH 209 and just bought the REM ULM. I'm wondering if your weight by grain charges are considered magnum or the super magnum loads. I'll be testing the Hornady SST 250 gr sabots and the Fury 285 gr bullets. I will be using the gun hunting whitetail deer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on the UML. I consider it a good muzzleloader. However it does need some upgrades to enhance what you have already.

If you are gonna shoot BH209, I highly recommend replacing the factory breechplug with the Arrowhead Rilfes Gen2 plug. This will eliminate any flame cutting of the factory BP with BH209 plus give you better combustion by eliminating any leakage from the factory BP.

I also free floated my barrel, installed pillars and bedded the stock to the action.

Those things I've done above will enhance your rifle's ability to give the best accuracy possible.

I weigh my BH209 and consider those charges too much for other ML's (the exception being smokeless ML's designed to handle stout charges of smokeless powder).

I also suggest you consider shooting the new Hornady 340 ELDX muzzleloader bullet. It's the only bullet I've shot from mine so far - with no intention of trying anything else - with excellent results on targets and deer.

Congrats on the UML. I consider it a good muzzleloader. However it does need some upgrades to enhance what you have already.

If you are gonna shoot BH209, I highly recommend replacing the factory breechplug with the Arrowhead Rilfes Gen2 plug. This will eliminate any flame cutting of the factory BP with BH209 plus give you better combustion by eliminating any leakage from the factory BP.

I also free floated my barrel, installed pillars and bedded the stock to the action.

Those things I've done above will enhance your rifle's ability to give the best accuracy possible.

I weigh my BH209 and consider those charges too much for other ML's (the exception being smokeless ML's designed to handle stout charges of smokeless powder).

I also suggest you consider shooting the new Hornady 340 ELDX muzzleloader bullet. It's the only bullet I've shot from mine so far - with no intention of trying anything else - with excellent results on targets and deer.
Thanks! I have the Arrowhead Gen2 plug on order. I do reload my own ammunition so I have a Hornady powder charger so just looking for a starting recipe to get started with getting dialed in. I will definitely pick up the 340 ELDX's and give them a try. I'm not really looking for a super magnum charge just something to get me accurate out to 100- 200 yards max as of now.

The REM UML will handle super magnum charges. As such, I want to take advantage of the guns capability, otherwise may as well just have any other muzzleloader.

For getting my gun on paper at 100 yards I started at 102.5 gr by weight, then worked my way up with 105.0, then 107.5 gr wt. I had 108.5 gr wt. ready to go but stopped at 107.5gr wt. after putting three in one hole. All my charges are weighed using an electronic scale from Hornady.

I use Federal 215 Gold Medal Match primers in mine also.

Is yours the laminated wood stock or the Bell & Carlson synthetic stock?

The REM UML will handle super magnum charges. As such, I want to take advantage of the guns capability, otherwise may as well just have any other muzzleloader.

For getting my gun on paper at 100 yards I started at 102.5 gr by weight, then worked my way up with 105.0, then 107.5 gr wt. I had 108.5 gr wt. ready to go but stopped at 107.5gr wt. after putting three in one hole. All my charges are weighed using an electronic scale from Hornady.

I use Federal 215 Gold Medal Match primers in mine also.

Is yours the laminated wood stock or the Bell & Carlson synthetic stock?
Thank you for the information! Mine is the laminated stock.