Rem 700 UML & the New H340ELDX šŸ˜šŸ¤™

Buttermilk

Range trip today with a ML I've had for nearly three years and had yet to fire a single shot from it until today.

I left happy. šŸ¤“

Gun is a Remington 700 UML. I modified the stock (removed the right hand cheekpiece - I'm a lefty shooter - and slimmed up the forend). I also installed pullars and bedded the stock.

I replaced the factory breechplug with an Arrowhead breechplug since I planned to shoot BH209.

I had collected a couple bullets to try from the gun as well as had on hand the Remington bullets supplied with the gun. However, none of those were bullets I really wanted to shoot.

I kept eyeballing various bullets from different manufacturers but never ordered any. Being a 50 cal, there were limited choices compared to 45 cal, particularly if one wanted to shoot full bore diameter bullets.

Fast forward to late 2022, Hornady made the announcement they were coming out with a new product for 2023, the 340 ELDX bullet for 50 cal ML's. So I waited, and waited some more. Finally, I got my hands on some.

Today, I shot the gun for the first time after purchasing it nearly three years ago.

I started with 102.5gr by weight of BH209 to get the gun on paper. First shot was low by 14", so I dialed up 14 MOA and shot again. I had only 4 shots of the 102.5 gr weight to shoot and so I used those for scope adjustments.

After getting dialed pretty close, I then shot three at 105.0 gr by weight, and shot a 3-shot group of 1.1875". Not too shabby, I thought.

I reached for the next step up in charge weight, this time being 107.5 gr by weight. Three shots later I was ecstatic! My brother and I walked down to the target setup at 100 yards and retrieved the paper target.

This gun is ready to hunt.

Attachments

• 796B22D2-F68E-40B7-A465-770E9F9DAE02.jpeg
    796B22D2-F68E-40B7-A465-770E9F9DAE02.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 379
  • 657F16A8-5171-43DE-85FF-9CE36A5F4E96.jpeg
    657F16A8-5171-43DE-85FF-9CE36A5F4E96.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 368
  • 9263E308-001D-45BC-882A-819AA95E161A.jpeg
    9263E308-001D-45BC-882A-819AA95E161A.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 346
  • 27F9AADA-774D-4B04-B21F-2E90AEDFECA0.jpeg
    27F9AADA-774D-4B04-B21F-2E90AEDFECA0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 314
Nice-- I'll be trying mine in a cva optima v2 with bh209 when work permits-- I'm guessing my speeds will be closer to 1800 in a standard inline ml

I'll have to keep my eyes open on other forums to see how others testing works out-- if you see anybody else testing them shoot me a pm or post a link

One of the guys tested that bullet using water jugs. It came apart.
Most are shooting and hunting with the Fury 320grNSR.
Good luck hunting.
Why is that? The reason I asked is I have a good friend and his son is thinking of buying a Rem UML, so I'm on here trying to gather info. I'd like to be able to give him some good advice.

Why is that? The reason I asked is I have a good friend and his son is thinking of buying a Rem UML, so I'm on here trying to gather info. I'd like to be able to give him some good advice.
If you are on FB, search Remington Ultimate. You'll find that the majority of owners are shooting the Fury 320gr bullets. Their shooting and hunting results are pretty self explanatory. Fury made that bullet special after a ton of testing just for the RUM.

If you are on FB, search Remington Ultimate. You'll find that the majority of owners are shooting the Fury 320gr bullets. Their shooting and hunting results are pretty self explanatory. Fury made that bullet special after a ton of testing just for the RUM.

Thanks! I appreciate the quick reply... I'm not on FB but I'll take your word for it. You've given me really good advice in the past. What is your opinion of the RUM in general? Keep in mind that this is for a young man that is just getting into this and this would be his first ML.

Its a good rifle. With the 700 action, you can do/add just about anything Remington. Down the road, the action could be used for a custom build.
There's a few quirks, but nothing any different than any other rifle. I will say this.......... if they shoot a maximum charge, they better install a muzzle brake for any youngster. It doesn't need to be fired with a max charge, just like any other rifle. It is NOT a target rifle, its a hunting rifle. They will shoot long range very well.
Many owners eliminate the OEM ignition system and replace it with the Arrowhead ignition. The Arrowhead ignition allows the shooting of BH209 and it does it exceptionally well.
I shot its daddy, the BP Xpress for a few years before going custom.

I remember you telling me about the BP Xpress, that's why I went with the Arrowhead when I bought mine. These may sound like dumb questions but to be clear, you can't use blackhorn or smokeless with the RUM, correct?
What does it take to change the ignition system? Is it just a matter of changing the breech plug or is there more to it?
Does it require a gunsmith?
Thanks again!

I've got a REM UML, obviously. I'm of the opinion it's a good ML. I've owned a few off the shelf versions over the years. I can say with certainty this is the best of those I've owned.

I do think the laminated stock version benefits from floating the barrel and installing pillars as well as bedding the stock to the action, which I've done with mine.

I also installed the Arrowhead gen 2 breechplug, which can be easily done following the instructions sent with the breechplug. There's also a YouTube video where Luke explains the process. If you can change a flat tire, you can do the plug (it's easier).

I'm pleased with mine.

I've got a REM UML, obviously. I'm of the opinion it's a good ML. I've owned a few off the shelf versions over the years. I can say with certainty this is the best of those I've owned.

I do think the laminated stock version benefits from floating the barrel and installing pillars as well as bedding the stock to the action, which I've done with mine.

I also installed the Arrowhead gen 2 breechplug, which can be easily done following the instructions sent with the breechplug. There's also a YouTube video where Luke explains the process. If you can change a flat tire, you can do the plug (it's easier).

I'm pleased with mine.
Thank you. That's good to know. Am I correct in assuming that you need the ASG breechplug to use Blackhorn?

Thank you. That's good to know. Am I correct in assuming that you need the ASG breechplug to use Blackhorn?
As Encore has answered, it's best if you're going the BH209 route to upgrade. It gives perfect seal and I think better ignition than a 209 primer. I upgraded before I ever fired a shot since I planned to shoot BH209 from the getgo.