Rem 700 Project

Uncle Fester

I picked up a Rem 700 SPS in 300 WM and am looking to turn it into a shooter. I had planned on trying to do some of the work myself, but I bit off more than I could chew with my schedule and getting ready for our upcoming deployment.

This gun is sitting in my safe and no work is getting done. I have got a good idea of what I want done to it, but how does one go about choosing the right gunsmith for a project like this. I am well aware I will get what I pay for, and that is not an issue. I see some pretty websites, great pictures and outstanding self testimonials, but once the action is in the mail it is out of my hands until I get the rifle back. Just like a new tattoo once the man starts you cant take it back.

Any help here would be appreciated. Sean

I picked up a Rem 700 SPS in 300 WM and am looking to turn it into a shooter. I had planned on trying to do some of the work myself, but I bit off more than I could chew with my schedule and getting ready for our upcoming deployment.

This gun is sitting in my safe and no work is getting done. I have got a good idea of what I want done to it, but how does one go about choosing the right gunsmith for a project like this. I am well aware I will get what I pay for, and that is not an issue. I see some pretty websites, great pictures and outstanding self testimonials, but once the action is in the mail it is out of my hands until I get the rifle back. Just like a new tattoo once the man starts you cant take it back.

Sean I guess it depends on what type of work you are needing to get done. Most good gunsmiths are backed logged for several months. Try to find one that fits your needs and contact him and see what his backlog is and see if he can do the type of work that you are needding.You can ask here on this website if any one has used the one that you might like to try and see if anybody has any work done by them. I think that would be a good start.

I would trust most of the smiths who are sponsors and active in the LRH forums here.

Much of their work is on display here and if they don't deliver, then you'll hear about it.

Try the search feature here and start pm'ing or calling them.

-- richard

I allways recomend finding a local smith if there is one and spend some time with him
and ask to see some of his work.

Be sure you have a plain and know exactly what you want and expect from him.

If he want's all the money up front "RUN". a reputable smith will normally ask for half
to start and the rest when complete. If you give him all the money he has no incentive to
finish on schedule and may not honor his accuracy guarantee when you do get it.

If you furnish everything correctly, he should be able to finish your project in 3 weeks +
depending on his back log.

If he buys some of the componants it could be 3 to 4 months before he gets long delivery
items (Barrels, stocks and special reamers normally take the most time) And this would be added to the 3 weeks labor and work load.

J E CUSTOM

I was in your same position a while back. Some lead times were several months. After a lot of research I went with a longrangehunting.com sponsor named Lorenzo Young. His screen name here is Grit and his business is named Deadly Precision Gunsmithing. He is doing my build right now and he is on schedule to finish in two or three more weeks. His customer service is excellent and he communicates very well with all his customers. Here is a link to a thread he started on my build. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/build-thread-phpd1295-95326/
His number is 801 735-4829. He told me the build should take 6 weeks and that was with ordering a barrel for the build. Give him a call and tell him I said hello.
Bill Ryan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.