rem 700 feed box, 338 edge too long to fit.

captain cox

i have a rem 700, im putting together an edge, i got dies and berger 300gr vld bullets yesterday and decided to play around with them, when i seated one to 3.89" according to brownells, they have a magazine extension that allows .391 and when i put the round in my magazine its way too long and the estra .110 inches your supposed to get with brownells product still wouldnt be enough. any one else have this problem? solutions?

Most are using an OAL for 3.785" with the 300g SMK. I'd use the same with the Berger 300g Hybrid.

The SMK's and the Berger Hybrids don't need to be jammed or at the lands to work well.

I might be wrong, but I think the bergers are longer, I couldn't find any burgers, doesn't seating them too deep take away room for powder, don't you need all you can get, that's what I understood, ill go and seat one to 3.785 and see where that goes

If you want to be able to seat the 300g bullet out to wherever you'd like, a Wyatts CFE9 is the perfect solution. It has 4.0" of inside available room, plus you'll get the added reliable feeding of a in line center feed box. I've installed and used several of these and they work extremely well. Some action modifications are need similar to a normal extended mag box cut out but with a few added cuts.

i did some measuring today at my smiths place, 4.007 is alot of metal that needs removed, does the feed ramp need shortened too? how hard is this to do?

The feed ramp does not need to be shortened. All the material is taken off rearward. The internal factory mortise should be approximately 3.795". You will need to mill back approximately .275". In the middle of the action there is a threaded hole normally for the front screw of an ADL trigger guard. You need to mill a little past that screw eliminating it all together. The feed rails will need to be opened up where you milled so the head of the case can slip through. The bolt stop will need to be shortened up also to allow the bolt to cycle far enough back to pick up the next case. In the 338 Edge I haven't found it necessary to open the port rearward for proper extraction as Wyatts instructions suggests. You'll need to play with the feed lips on the mag box to get the right fir so a case can slip through but not pop back up through. I'd be glad to do this for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Just let me know.

Ok thanks, I'm gonna get my barrel on and see how long they really need to be and go from there. Thanks I appreciate it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.