• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Rem 700 Broken Bolt Handle- Need Smith recommendation.

Roughrice

Went out to confirm 600 yard zero on Friday for a match on Saturday and got a neck sized live round stuck in chamber with the bolt half closed.
I then could not get primary extraction and had a maul too close to my reach and broke off the bolt handle.
I poured WD40 down the tube overnight and was able to use a punch and hammer to unlock lugs and extract the live round.
(I already know I screwed up on that round so I really don't need advise on what happened.)
I'm looking for a very reputable gunsmith with experience to re-time and tig-weld the bolt back in place.
I apologize if this is not posted in the correct category!
Thank you ahead for your recommendation!

Went out to confirm 600 yard zero on Friday for a match on Saturday and got a neck sized live round stuck in chamber with the bolt half closed.
I then could not get primary extraction and had a maul too close to my reach and broke off the bolt handle.
I poured WD40 down the tube overnight and was able to use a punch and hammer to unlock lugs and extract the live round.
(I already know I screwed up on that round so I really don't need advise on what happened.)
I'm looking for a very reputable gunsmith with experience to re-time and tig-weld the bolt back in place.
roughrice I think the best bet is Dan Accu Tig in Alaska

Put some pictures so we can see the condition of the bolt and handle.
Did the handle twist/bend while trying to close the bolt?
Thanks
Len

Ok.
I have had Kampfeld do bolt work in the past but never to fix broken handle.
It's my first time for this stupid mistake.

Len,
Yes... the handle is un-soldered but still attached with the little twisted strap

Here's the screw up.

Attachments

• Rem bolt.JPG
    Rem bolt.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Rem bolt2.JPG
    Rem bolt2.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 93
Your in need of handle replacement, look for gunsmiths who do that and send the barreled action so it can be done correctly. If they don't need the action it's not being done correctly!!!

Gotcha...
I don't know of many precision rifle smiths around here that would do that.
Yes... I agree... the barreled action will need to be sent.

Been years since I used him. I did the same thing with a 700. You'll notice by the phone number he's in your area. He did a good job for me. But like I said, it was years ago. Don Geraci recommended him to me.
C6798EC2-F41C-4BAF-8483-6AA07FE51652.jpeg

jessej,

Thank you.
I don't know of him but will certainly give him a call.
According to the area code he's on the eastern or southeastern part of the state and I'm central but my son lives in Baton Rouge and can take it to him if he can do it.

Wendell