REM 700 BDL Barreled action- What could we turn it into ??

Down Under Hunter

My friend recently had the fortune to acquire a 700 BDL barrelled action in 7mm Rem Mag.

He rang me last night to talk about what he could turn it into.

So here we go,

It will mainly be used on Fallow and Red deer at ranges out to around 800 yards or less. It will also be called on for limited work on Sambar.

He is prepared to rechamber, new barrel , stock, brake etc then put his new 4-14 VX3 with BDC turret on top.

I personally think a 7mm of some sort would be hard to beat. Flat shooting and good weight bullet for the game it's used mainly for.

Just interested in helping him live the dream with an accurate long range bomber ?

Any thoughts ??

Cheers

DUH

Down Under

Any of the big Remingtion Ultra Mags will work but the 300 or even
338 RUM would be best for Red stag.

The 7mm Rum would be about the flattest and would be ok for stag
size game.It is currently about the flattest factory cartrige available.

No bolt face work or extractor change would be required allowing
him to spend that money on something else.

There are also some good wildcats that would work but why make
things difficult.

I have all of the RUMs and find them easy to reload,accurate and
perform well with a wide selection of bullet weights.

I recomend a #6 or #7 barrel contour for accurace , But if he wants
a muzzle brake then a # 5 or #5.5 will still shoot accurately.

Just something to think about
J E CUSTOM

My friend recently had the fortune to acquire a 700 BDL barrelled action in 7mm Rem Mag.

So here we go,

It will mainly be used on Fallow and Red deer at ranges out to around 800 yards or less. It will also be called on for limited work on Sambar.

He is prepared to rechamber, new barrel , stock, brake etc then put his new 4-14 VX3 with BDC turret on top.

I personally think a 7mm of some sort would be hard to beat. Flat shooting and good weight bullet for the game it's used mainly for.

Just interested in helping him live the dream with an accurate long range bomber ?

Any thoughts ??

Cheers

DUH

I'd agree with a 7mm. I've been looking hard at 7wsm and 7/300wsm set up for the heavy bergers. I'd try to mimick something like Nate Dagley's (308nate) long range extreme rifles.

Last Sat. I helped my son-in-law buy a 7 mm Rem. mag. for elk. Then Sun. I found another 7mm Rem. mag. in a Savage action so I bought it for myself. In my oppenion, the 7mm is more than adiquite for Red deer and could be considered over kill foe fallow deer, but with the proper bullet should do well without to much meat damage.
If he feels he must rebarrel it he can go to any round with a .532 head without doing any blot work. That would be the .264 Win. mag, most of the .300 mags, .338 Win mag., .375 H&H or a bunch more.

Velocity gain about 30-40fps/1"

But hunting a Sambar in its natural environment and having a barrel longer than even a 24" can have some serious unwanted complications.

Peter

So here we go,

Any thoughts ??

Cheers

DUH

Tell him he's too old and to stick to the 30 ought, he can't hit things at close range anyways.

If it has to be 7MM what's wrong with the Rem. 7MM?

For a hunting, unless one just has to have the extra 150-200fps velocity the 7MM Rem. is just as good as any. The 7MM brass is as strong as any and if handloaded to the same pressure as the WSM-RUM the difference would be even less. One can have a longer throat and load 175Gr well over 3000fps with 24" barrel in the 7MM.Rem. using some 20 grains less of powder then the RUM.

Peter

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.