Rem. 700 300 win mag with 5R barrel

jlostrander

Has anyone had any experience with this rifle? Specifically the one with the HS precision stock.

What did you think if the feel? Was it accurate after barrel break in?

General thoughts please.

I know there are many choices, but I like most of what they have in this package and would upgrade it eventually, but over time I'd like to use it in the near term.

It is not overly heavy, but still about right for solid long range shooting. I'd love to use it for hunting without a break, but eventually would put a break on it.

I have one 5R from the custom shop that I got for a steal.
The stock is very robust, mine had a Picatinny rail already installed and pinned. Mine is also threaded, but we can't use suppressors here and I don't like brakes.
To be honest, I haven't even mounted a scope on it yet, let alone fired it. LOL.
I like the feel of it, it feels just like my Sendero's, it is lighter than my LR, but the drawbacks for me are the X Mark Pro trigger, the pressed metal follower, which all 3 of my other recent Rem offerings also had, the cheap cast bottom metal and the bolt timing has all been off as well.
I don't think Remington make a QUALITY rifle anymore, they rely on their name and price accordingly but do not deliver the goods.
Everything about them has been cheapened, but without the cheap price tag.
I have had to swap bolts, bottom metal and triggers just to get what I should have gotten in the first place.
I just do not understand how a rifle that costs $2825AUD comes with cast bottom metal that is PAINTED, pressed metal follower that hangs up and a trigger that is, frankly woeful.
I paid $135USD each for stainless bottom metal, surely Remington could make them cheaper than that or outsource for a lower price.
Anyway, if you think they're worth the money, then go ahead with it. I did, but it cost me more to get what I wanted.
I will say I have never had a top Remington line rifle not shoot.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.