Reloads causing soot on brass/bolt

Highvoltage

Hopefully someone can help me here. I'm reloading 270 Winchester reduced recoil loads with h4895. Ive noticed some loads are tight when closing the bolt, some are not. Last range session I had 2 not fire but had light firing pin marks. Today's session all loads fired but I noticed soot on the case all the way to the head and the bolt was sooty. Is this normal for h4895. Btw it's a tikka t3. Any advice is greatly appreciated. These loads all shoot sub moa 100

Thanks so much. I've loaded a lot of rounds and this caught me off guard. So a crimp should solve it or step up the charge weight. Sounds good

Same problem will occur in shotgun reloads that are low recoil...wad can't get out the barrel before the pressure pushes back past the opened hull.....
Gets stuff really dirty...really fast....no fun cleaning up that mess....
I would go for a lighter recoil by way of lighter bullet or brake...and i don't like brakes.....
Unless it is a 'union break'...and I work for myself....dont see them very often.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts