reloading work up for long range

dcb

Curious about how long range shooters work up there loads,
and how much work do you put into you reloads. step by step if you dont mind.
Thanks Dave

DCB, I would recommend you use the search feature. There is a lot of information in older topics. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I personally just am very carefull about making sure every load has the same powder weight and follow the steps listed in most reloading manuals. I am not nearly as in depth as most on this sight, but their ideas seam to help them.

thanks, I did a search before I posted and didn't turn up much. the comments on the search were lacking in information.
(quote)"I personally just am very carefull about making sure every load has the same powder weight and follow the steps listed in most reloading manuals."
Not much there.

In a nutshell, buy a chronograph and learn how to "read into it" for uniform velocities. Don't get too concerned with 100 yard accuracy as much as getting a good consistent standard deviation. Then check that load at 100,200,300,400, clear out to 1000 if that is your intended range of fire. If the load shoots decent but not as good as you want at 100, don't give up on it if it has a low standard deviation. It may just put them in the same hole at 300.

Now there are a million other tips and techniques to get that magical load with a low standard deviation, but there is not enough time tonight to type them all out here so keep posting questions here and read as much as you can and you will learn them all if you get serious enough to retain them.
Good luck.--goodgrouper

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.