Reloading the berger bullets

Let me try this again. What I'm wanting to know, is how does one decide which powder and powder charge they want to start with? Do you start with a bullet .020 off the lands, do a ladder test starting low in weight working up to max? Then pick a node from that then start working various lengths off the lands?

Let me try this again. What I'm wanting to know, is how does one decide which powder and powder charge they want to start with? Do you start with a bullet .020 off the lands, do a ladder test starting low in weight working up to max? Then pick a node from that then start working various lengths off the lands?
My responses remain the same, as in #3 and #7.

What do YOU not understand? Looks like you have been provided with some good information. Manuals will give you several options for powder and projectiles that will work for a given cartridge. Good luck

I reference powder or projectile manufacturs provided up to date ballistics. Reloading manuals always... I Google and see what everyone else is doing with the combo. Then I go around the middle of the safe range and work up. If your looking for an answer on what powder, just tell us what your trying to do. Most guys chase velocity with a temp stable powder but velocity isn't everything.

Maybe you should get a few books and manuals to read. Reloading can be very dangerous, just getting the basics from good videos is good too. I am a huge fan of johnnys reloading bench on youtube.
I don't know the person, but hopefully he's a reliable source for teaching! If someone on here suggest a person/place for reloading videos it should/hopefully be a safe recommendation? If you have someone close to you and you know them this could be a good source for learning hands on! I don't promote u-tube as I don't know any personally that do the vids. It might be worth driving to a knowledgeable place recommended by a member on here that's close to you?

What all reloading equipment do you have and how long (if new) have you been doing this?

If new, make sure you don't have any distractions so to use the right corresponding powders and amount (such as imr, hodgdon and accurate can have the same numbers).

Find a suitable powder for the cartridge and projectile.

Ladder test. Find the best node with projectiles loaded .01 off the lands. Works most the time. Some projectiles such as hammer or Barnes to name a few like more room in MY experience.

Find the best group in the accepted velocity range then do a seating depth ladder test to improve accuracy if needed. I stop at 1/2 moa. Confirm accuracy at distance.

If that doesn't work, I change powders or projectiles.

Does this help answer your question?

Some guys like to find the seating depth first. Do what makes you happy.

This is how I go about loading for my hunting rifles.

When you're talking about close to lands is the coal longer than in reload data or shorter? If longer you could start in the top 3rd on amount and if shorter than use the bottom half.

I understand about starting close to the lands and working bullet back. But what about powder. How do you choose which powder and what grain you want to load with?
Look in your reloading manual at the cartridge that you are loading and you will see a number of suitable powder's that will work. There will be a starting load and a maximum load. YOU should definitely use the grain amount in the starting load.
YOU should read the beginning of the manual for how to choose a powder.