Reloading room/area lighting

Wile E Coyote

This question isn't about reloading but rather the reloading room/area itself. In an ideal world, What type of lighting would one want in their reloading area? I'm asking not only of light intensity, position, color, glare and related parameters but also cost to operate, excess heat output and perhaps most importantly to reloading is magnetic interference.

I'm in the middle of a significant electrical upgrade in the house and I might as well get this done right the second time around while i'm at it. I currently have 4' flourescent tubes on the ceiling and the light is ok but the ballasts do mess with the scales, both electronic and balance beam.
My reloading "area" is a corner of the basement where I've recycled the old kitchen cabinets and part of the countertop. As such, I would like to have not only lights from the ceiling but also under the upper cabinets. The goal is a well lit work area that doesn't interfere with the scales and other electronics. The ceilings are 7' 4" and not finished (yet).

I've asked some similar questions at the local electrical supply but they seem to get lost once I get past the cosmetic questions. The magnetic interference question drew multiple "deer in the headlights" stares.

Any electrical or lighting engineers here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

LED sounds like an interesting idea. I'm in the same spot - going to change lights in the basement in the reloading area, and hadn't even thought of fluorescent interference.

Those large bulbs you show in your link Boss Hoss - do those cause any electronic interference issues?

The LED is interesting. I installed them last night in the kitchen under cabinets and was surprised by the quality and quantity of light. They use only a fraction of the juice that halogen, or even flourecents consume. If they have a limitation it is they don't seem to illuminate well from a distance; One would need a lot of them on the ceiling to illuminate the room. BUT I have only seen the small under cabinet model. There may well be something else. I'm going to dig deeper.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.