Reloading Dies - Question

tlk

I have finally decided upon the Forster micrometer seater die over the Redding. Once this is here my inventory will be the following:

RCBS two die f/l set
Lee collet neck sizer
Forster micrometer seater die

Question: can I use the RCBS f/l sizing die or is there a real advantage to getting the Forster f/l die as well? Once I do a f/l resize wouldn't I use the Lee to get the neck "just right" anyway (those times when I need to f/l size instead of neck only)? For the press I will be using the Rock Chucker that I curently have.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you plan on using the Lee collet die (one of my favorite dies BTW) you should consider buying a Redding body die and using that instead of the FL die. Yes, you can use the FL die, but I just find it simpler to use the body die instead. I generally neck size only using the collet die up to the point when my brass gets a little too tight in the chamber, usually 3 to 5 loadings depending on the cartridge. Then I use the body die to bump the shoulder back about .002" followed by the collet neck die.

BTW, in my experience the Forster micrometer seater is a dandy.

I will 'second' Delta's post. .. Lee collet die in combo with a Redding body die is a simple set-up. The neck sizer alone will do a very good job, and cuts down considerably on case prep, and no lube is needed. If you get the Lee 3-die set and Redding body die, that's all you'll ever really need (IMHO).

OK, I did some research on the Redding body die. What is the difference between the short and regular body die for the 30-06? I mean, other than one is SHORTER than the other....

I'm not aware of a "short" body die. They make what's called a small base body die if that's what you mean. I don't own any of these, but from what I've read they're intended for custom chambers that are smaller than SAAMI specs. You should be fine with the regular body die I would think.

"They make what's called a small base body die if that's what you mean. I don't own any of these, but from what I've read they're intended for custom chambers that are smaller than SAAMI specs."

Actually, "small base dies" simply restore the brass to actual SAAMI specs, not smaller.

Standard FL dies leave the case slightly larger in diameter than SAMMI suggests to achieve slightly better case life.

"Small base" dies take case diameters back to SAMMI spec to insure the loaded cartridges will chamber in rifles that have little camming power, such as autoloaders, etc.

Well, I knew I wasn't just making it up. This is from the product description of the small base body die on Graf's website:

"Body Dies are designed to full length resize the case body and bump the shoulder position for proper chambering without disturbing the case neck. They are made without internal parts and intended for use only to resize cases which have become increasingly difficult to chamber after repeated firing and neck sizing. Designed as a companion to the Bushing-style Neck Sizing Dies. Small Base Body Dies are designed for firearms with custom chamberings that are tighter than SAAMI specifications."

But boomtube, your explanation actually makes more sense to me. How can they mass produce a die for custom chambers?

" is there a real advantage to getting the Forster f/l die as well? "

Yes. Should have mentioned this earlier but... Anyway, the Forster FL die is, IMHO, the best FL die available. It has an expander button that screws up the decapping rod to a point just inside the neck when the case is fully inserted. Only that design can center the expander immediately as the case starts being withdrawn. That's a MUCH better design than any expander ball that hangs far down the decap rod and allows the neck to drift and expand off center as it works.

Delta, I was ONLY addressing the "small base" part of the issue, not the "bump" part. I think Graf's is right about the small base body die BUT not all target chambers are any tighter than SAMMI specs minimum so the small base dies may not be required. Almost certainly not for bolt rifles but autos? Maybe. Small base dies ARE recommended for autos but I wonder how often they are really needed for smooth chambering.

Anyway, a "custom" chamber that cannot chamber a normal size round would appear to be, in effect, a wildcat, not simply a snug but standard SAMMI chamber of an existing cartridge. IMHO.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.