Reloading Data for 308Win and 168 Bergers

rangerman

I have a Remington Model 700 chambered in 308 Win. that I would like to develop hand loads using the 168 Berger bullets. Anyone have any load data they could share? I will be using Lapua brass and have Federal 210 primers. My reloading books call for utilizing a multitude of different powders for this bullet weight.
Thanks in advance.

@Darkker Thank you, it's never made any sense to me either.

OP- There's no magic involved here. I am not trying to be rude but, what you're asking has a very high likelihood of not working. Pet loads are just that. In all of my years of reloading, I can think of exactly one load that shoots well across multiple platforms.... one.

Perhaps tell us what powders you have on hand or would like to use & the good folks here at LRH will try very hard to help. Do you need a screenshot from the Berger manual? I can do that (in a couple hours).

t

Better yet. Here's a link to 38 pages of .308 load data. None of which is mine, but most of these dudes know what they're doing.

t

I load the A-Max 168 in my 308. Hands down the best powder in my 700 with a 26" barrel is Varget, it is consistent across every type of weather I have shot it in and accuracy has been as good or better than everything else I have tried. It shoots clean too. RL-15 was as accurate but not nearly as consistent across hot and cold temps. I use standard primers, WW or LC brass that has been weight sorted and prepped lightly and it shoots extremely well.

The answer to all data questions regarding the .308Win is VARGET. Not really, but it's a very sound place to start and Varget has been available lately at Powder Valley and Midsouth Shooters Supply. Grab a few pounds and you'll be happy that you did.

Thanks guys. I've reloaded for years just not much for the 308 Win. Really just wanted to see what powders you guys were using that worked for you in your hunting rifles. I will give the RE-15 a try and see how it goes.

A powder charge that gets you 2600 FPS. My load is 43.8 grains of Varget. In a bolt action.

Thanks guys. I've reloaded for years just not much for the 308 Win. Really just wanted to see what powders you guys were using that worked for you in your hunting rifles. I will give the RE-15 a try and see how it goes.

Apologies, that isn't how I took your initial post.

I've had great luck with Ramshot TAC, it can be very accurate. Keep in mind, it is not a "temp stable" powder such as Varget; but highly capable.

t

I also recommend Varget. I have several different 308's and they all like the Varget loads with 150's and 168's.

IMR 4064 is also a great .308 powder for that bullet weight class. I run 44gr of 4064 with a Sierra 168MK and it shoots great. Actually anywhere from 42-44gr works fine.

I'm playing with Varget with the new-ish Sierra 169 MK. It looks promising as well.

RL15 has been used in Fed GMM. That is why I tried it, easy accuracy but temp sensitive. I think you'll find a good shooting load easily.

Recent Posts