Reloading data for 257 TCU

Gibbshooter43

After a 25 year hiatus d/t eye problems, I am again venturing into the Thompson Center Contender series of cartridges. What triggered my return was the location of a long sought after barrel in the 257 TCU caliber. While there seems to be quite a bit of information on the 6, 6.5, 7, 7:30 Waters and a few other TCU cartridges, there is very little on the 257. Which is interesting since the few posts that refer to it speak of it in glowing terms as far as accuracy is concerned. Since many of you have served as mentors in many other areas of LRH, I thought maybe, just maybe, someone might be able to assist me with some reloading data for this cartridge. I currently reload for some 25 to 30 cartridges including some wildcats such as the Gibbs and Ackleys so I'm not new to the game, but I'm always challenging myself to new ventures.

After a 25 year hiatus d/t eye problems, I am again venturing into the Thompson Center Contender series of cartridges. What triggered my return was the location of a long sought after barrel in the 257 TCU caliber. While there seems to be quite a bit of information on the 6, 6.5, 7, 7:30 Waters and a few other TCU cartridges, there is very little on the 257. Which is interesting since the few posts that refer to it speak of it in glowing terms as far as accuracy is concerned. Since many of you have served as mentors in many other areas of LRH, I thought maybe, just maybe, someone might be able to assist me with some reloading data for this cartridge. I currently reload for some 25 to 30 cartridges including some wildcats such as the Gibbs and Ackleys so I'm not new to the game, but I'm always challenging myself to new ventures.
The modern version is the 25-45 Sharps. That should give you a good starting point.

Were you able to find starting data?

Post up what you end up working out for a load. I'm curious to see what your using and what you get out of it. I have a 25-45 sharps in an ar platform I may consider loading for.

I'm loading for a 12" TCU octagon barrel so there will be a significant difference, but as soon as I'm able to get some range time, I'll sure let you know what I'm finding out. At the suggestion of an old TCU shooter, I'm starting with H4895 and I'll see where I takes me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.