Reloading 280 AI which powders

155 gr and 140 gr Absolute Hammer, RL16 is a magic combo. Right at 3200 fps with the 155 gr, and tiny groups.

Any conventional bullet in the "160-168 gr range, VVN560 is amazing, and especially now since all the N500 series powders are temp stable.

Yeah it's moving right along. Lots of guys running the 140 AH well over 3300 FPS. Now that my brass is fully formed I'm sure I could drive them faster.
I am getting 3390 with a 130 AH with no pressure signs. I will use this load for this season. I will order some 140 AH after my hunt to try out. I'm not sure if there will be much terminal performance difference between the two

I was able to get about 3400 with the 140 Absolute Hunters in my 280 AI with 24 inch barrel. Sadly the accuracy was not good. My gun just doesn't like the Hammers :(
Yeah in load development I got very close to 3400 FPS as well. No ejector mark or heavy bolt lift, but primers were flat. Truthfully I haven't had enough time to shoot my gun much. But last time out I did shoot a few half MOA groups. Which is as good as I can shoot. Still need to shoot it out farther to see how it does.

Shot out to 500 yds the other day and it held just under 3/4 MOA. Not bad for the first time out with this gun.

Recent Posts