Reloading .223 for AR-15

When I was trying to decide on which die set to get last year , I finally settled on the RCBS AR dies. They have an explanation about the short base versus the FL that made sense to me. I had issues with an Armalite like they described years ago in the explanation. I haven't had a chance to really put the AR dies through their paces since it's been all but impossible to get the powder and primers I want.
I got a bunch of brass ready to go and have since been stuck in neutral waiting for it to be in stock.

Probably a little late on this thread, I don't drop in here (forum) all that often anymore....

I load a pile of 223's, for sure I've loaded thousands for my bolt action and my semi auto.......

I use OFMBrass from Wideners with the usual prep. OFMBrass will have to have the crimps removed from the pockets as well as cleaned and sized to OAL first (second) time around. I mill the crimps out with a 60 degree chaterless countersink chucked in one of my lathes but your method, whatever method you use, is fine so long as you rebate/remove the ridge entirely. The pockets will need cleaned and the flash holes looked at. Most OFMBrass will be Lake City or TAA with a smattering of others ocassionally.

I use CCI 400 Small Rifle Primers exclusively, always have. For me, they seem to be the most consistent and seat easily.

I use either H322 or H335 (depending on what rifle I shoot them in. H322 for the semi auto, H335 for the bolt gun. never tried the CFE Hodgdon Powder, I'm satisified with the 322-335 blends.

I like to buy my pills in bulk, 1000 at a time in the 55grain Spire Point Boat tail Hornady flavor for targets and small game. I do ocassionally load the Hornady V-Max polymer tips but I prefer the spire points and you can get them in bulk at Wideners again.

For dies, I use the RCBS Gold Medal Competition Full Length Die Set with Front Load Seater with the F/L die's base ground off 0.015 so I can set back the shoulder (for my bolt action rifle), not my semi auto. In fact, I use RCBS Front Load Seater Dies to set every caliber I load for. I really like the resettable seat depth plus the front drop in bullet window, no pinched fingers.

You'll need to work a load up, but for my use, I've found pretty consistently that a medium charge (in the Hornady reloading book) seems to yield the best accuracy and I seat my pills to Sammi spec for the semi and 20 off for the bolt gun.

Hope that helps you along.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.