Reloaded 26

trueblue

Anyone using Reloader 26?
What velocity gains are you seeing, and are you seeing feet per second changes due to temperature changes?

I've just started using it in my 280ai, but it's the only powder I've tried with that rifle (it's a fresh build). I saw some guys on the Nosler forum did some temperature testing, I recall it was quite favorable, but not sure how extensive the testing was.

This type of testing (comparing velocities against other powders, or temperate sensitivity, etc) take quite a bit of time (and money in components). I think RL26 has only been out for… maybe 1 or 2 years???

What I like about RL26 is you can get a full charge with a somewhat lower load density. I use Redding competition seating dies, so I can't use compressed loads. I think velocities are slightly more then IMR 7828ssc. At least in the 280ai.

One other thing. Careful of Quickload predictions. The burn rate is pretty well off, you you might end up going over pressure if you trust that software (the burn rate needs to be calibrated). From what I understand, it's closer to RL22.

Anyway that's all I know. It's been working out well for me so far, but I've only started.

good luck!

I'm using RL26 in a 243 Ackley Improved. With a Hornady 105gr Match I'm getting a little over 3350fps.​

I am using it in my 300 WSM with 215 gr Bergers (soon to be 212 gr ELD-X). I am using 68.2 gr and getting 2985 fps. Please note I built this rifle on a LA and my bullet is seated out further than you could ever do in a SA. Accuracy has been very good at about 1/2 moa out to 600 yards. Been quite successful at 1000 and more but have not shot groups at those ranges.

Thanks for the replies, but more interested in if you switched to Reloader 26 and what velocity differences you saw from what you were using before, and if you are finding big velocity spreads with temperature swings

Not trying to high jack the thread but looking for load data for 300RUM and RL 26 (230 berger). Also concerned about the same thing with temp stability, load density, in compared to retumbo. And if there was any considerable velocity gains with RL 26???????? Thanks.

One of the reasons I went to it was it's supposed temperature stability. Have not any problems yet. Load density is very good with my set up.

6 AI, 3380fps 105gr VLD
270 WSM 3220fps 150 VLD
Could go faster but these are my accuracy loads.

Also, its spelled Reloder.

R26 seems to really like the "short/fat" cases. I shoot it in my 338 Norma and I am getting 200fps more velocity over H1000 with the same pressure signs. I shoot a 300 grain bullet at 2970fps. This is the same with my 6.5 WSM, I am getting 200fps more than with H1000 & Magpro. I tried R26 in mt 280AI and 6.5-284 with no noticeable gain in seeds. I did get a little better speeds (+30-50fps) in my 300 Ultra with a 220 grain bullet over Retumbo.

Hope this helps.

Matt

R26 seems to really like the "short/fat" cases. I shoot it in my 338 Norma and I am getting 200fps more velocity over H1000 with the same pressure signs. I shoot a 300 grain bullet at 2970fps. This is the same with my 6.5 WSM, I am getting 200fps more than with H1000 & Magpro. I tried R26 in mt 280AI and 6.5-284 with no noticeable gain in seeds. I did get a little better speeds (+30-50fps) in my 300 Ultra with a 220 grain bullet over Retumbo.

Hope this helps.

Matt
That is the type of imformation I am looking for. Have you seen any velocity spread based on temperature change?

That is the type of imformation I am looking for. Have you seen any velocity spread based on temperature change?
I shot these in spring time and mid summer temps and did not see velocity spreads more than 15fps. I have not shot these in extreme cold to verify it.

mmayberry,

If you don't mind posting what was you load in the 300RUM. Also I have a 6.5x284 that I was thinking about trying it in as well. Thanks

I shot these in spring time and mid summer temps and did not see velocity spreads more than 15fps. I have not shot these in extreme cold to verify it.
Thanks
Would also like some feedback from those that have done load development in warm temps and than what is lost velocity in cold weather.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.