Reducing runout suggestion

Im going to give this a try. I need to rig up some way to punch the primers out now. I could put a smaller dia expander pin in the FL die. I have about 20 pieces of fresh brass that I am about to break out and a whole bag of pieces that have seen 4 firings. I dont think I would turn the necks on that group since I am debating on using them for another cycle or not.

Get a Lee universal de-capping die, I think I paid like 10 bucks for it, one of the best tools on the bench

Thanks to all of the helpful suggestings and experience. I will impliment these ideas and ask more specific questions as problems arise

The simplest way I have found is to use a FL die and first throw away the expander ball. Then I simply run a case into the die. This forms the whole case including the neck. Then, I measure the outside diameter of the neck. Then I seat a bullet and re measure the neck. From there I can see how much I need to turn off the neck to get the desired neck tension. Then I turn my necks. Then I just FL resize them and call it a day. When they come out of the die, the body and necks are perfect and it is done in one easy step.

I have my current set up set to .003" of neck tension and only had to take a couple of thousandths off the neck.

Simple easy and it works.

Okay, good idea. It got me to thinking.

I just took a FL die out of the drawer for 300 win mag and removed the expander spindle. It sized the neck to .329" with very little runout. My 300 win mag is a factory without a tight neck so I do not normally turn 300 win mag brass. So if this brass is unturned then after firing all the variance in neck thickness is transferred to the inside surface of the neck.

So with a .329" outside neck diameter the math would be .329"-.308"=.021"/2=.0105". If I wanted a .003" bullet grip I would turn then necks to .0105"+(.003"/2)=.012".

The problem seems to me that you want the neck variations on the outside of the neck for neck turning. A very tight mandrel could push the variations to the outside where the blade would cut them but it can be hard to insert those tight mandrels.

So how do you get the neck thickness variations to the outside for neck turning or do you use a reamer?

So, how do you get the neck thickness variations to the outside for neck turning or do you use a reamer?
The brass is expanded on one mandrel. A second, smaller diameter mandrel is used when turning the brass. The reamer will not give uniform brass thickness.

Okay, good idea. It got me to thinking.

I just took a FL die out of the drawer for 300 win mag and removed the expander spindle. It sized the neck to .329" with very little runout. My 300 win mag is a factory without a tight neck so I do not normally turn 300 win mag brass. So if this brass is unturned then after firing all the variance in neck thickness is transferred to the inside surface of the neck.

So with a .329" outside neck diameter the math would be .329"-.308"=.021"/2=.0105". If I wanted a .003" bullet grip I would turn then necks to .0105"+(.003"/2)=.012".

The problem seems to me that you want the neck variations on the outside of the neck for neck turning. A very tight mandrel could push the variations to the outside where the blade would cut them but it can be hard to insert those tight mandrels.

So how do you get the neck thickness variations to the outside for neck turning or do you use a reamer?

The post above thisone explains nicley. The first mandrel expands the necks for proper fit in the turning mandrel and when it is shoved inside the neck it forces any variations to the outside of the neck. Or did we missunderstand what you are asking?

I'm not sure if you shove a mandrel in by hand that it won't spring back but that is all probably a moot point. I can always just use my Lee Collet first to expand the neck to the right size for my Forster turner, but I was trying to find a way to have a good die in a caliber that does not offer the Lee Collet.

Have you found that all the FL die necks are made perfectly concentric?

I'm not sure if you shove a mandrel in by hand that it won't spring back but that is all probably a moot point. I can always just use my Lee Collet first to expand the neck to the right size for my Forster turner, but I was trying to find a way to have a good die in a caliber that does not offer the Lee Collet.
The Forster (and Sinclair) neck-turning mandrels are 0.002" less than bullet diameter. Sinclair has an expander mandrel that is 0.001" smaller than bullet diameter. It fits in their expander body and is used in a press.

The Forster (and Sinclair) neck-turning mandrels are 0.002" less than bullet diameter. Sinclair has an expander mandrel that is 0.001" smaller than bullet diameter. It fits in their expander body and is used in a press.

Yeah, just looking for a way to get started with this method. All the new cases I have bought have been too tight to accept the Forster hand held outside neck turning mandrel. If you know already the neck diameter of the die then that helps but you still have to turn the necks to use this system. With new cases the neck is too tight for a mandrel, after firing the neck is too big and after sizing they are too small again, for the neck turning mandrel that is.

So I guess you have to buy an expander mandrel and expander body to expand the necks of new brass so that you can get the neck turning mandrel in. Cheaper to buy a Lee Collet Neck Sizer which will expand the necks in new brass just right for neck turning. But then you have a Lee Collet Neck Sizer and don't have to buy a FL die and don't have to neck turn unless you have a tight necked chamber.

I can't find the expanders on the Sinclair website but did find it posted where the expander costs $18.50 and the mandrel $8.50 and most FL dies run $25.00 so that is $51.50. A Lee Collet cost $17.00 and a Redding Body Die cost $22.00 so that is a cost of $39.00 to do the same thing.

A good thing to know for the next caliber where Lee doesn't make the Lee Collet though.

Have y'all ever run into a FL die where the inside diameter of a FL die was so small that you had to turn the necks below .010"?

Last edited:
The sinclair expander mandrels are very straight and uniform and would work prefectly for your situation. They are not very expensive when you consider the good job they do.
I use them for a few different calibers. I just run them through the expander mandrel and they fit perfectly on my turning tool. I also used the mandrel before seating and it works like a charm. No additional runout. In fact the mandrel in perfect to use if you WANT to use something after neck sizing with a bushing.

Hornady has a concentricity tool and dial that is new. I found it on the Hornady website using the search word concentricity under reloading. I heard that Hornady claims that the tool measures and corrects runout. Does anyone have any experience with this tool or know how it works?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts