Redfield Scope Question

mightyman

Guys,
I just bought a very nice, clean, seldom shot older Model 7, 7mm.08 for my nephew.

It has a Redfield scope on it that I am having trouble figuring out and wanted to take to the experts.

It is a Redfield 3 X 9 X 40 (6 stars on its side)and apparently a BDC inside as looking through the scope at top is two lines, then the regular cross hairs. In the bottom right hand corner looking through the scope is a tall rectangle with numbers from 200 to 600...

Outside on the dial is arrow that says up and on the side of the dial is; Aa then 1 - 6. The dial turns, yet is held in place by small Allen screw. When you take the cap off via Allen screw it has the normal place to adjust for up/down.

Any direction on how to use this scope? Also since the top cap turns would that have tendacy to throw zero off if bumped?

thanks for any help you can provide...

MM

If you google redfield rangefinding scope it'll come up to a link on shootersforum.com. There is a thumbnail picture there that describes the system (can't link it here at work). I think it was called Redfield Accu-Range. Truth is though you could apply the lines along the distance scale more accurately than the system they use as a rangefinding tool for many different tgt. sizes. Don't know if your 3-9x has a plex reticle in it but that can also be used as a nice rangefinding tool as well.

From other BDC systems the dial on the side must be a BDC dial cald. for a certain ballistic profile (like a 30-06 /150 gr. generic bullet in Std conditions), since it sounds like it goes from 100 (1) to 600 (6). I wouldn't trust the reticle rangefinding systems where you adjust magnification (and consequently stadia to stadia subtension) to even beyond 400ish. The mil-ranging formula adapted for any multi-stadia reticle is much better.

It is a Redfield 3 X 9 X 40 (6 stars on its side) and apparently a BDC inside as looking through the scope at top is two lines, then the regular cross hairs. In the bottom right hand corner looking through the scope is a tall rectangle with numbers from 200 to 600...

Not familiar with the 6 star but Redfield built the Golden Five Star series (including accu-trac models) scopes like below ...

KGrHqFHJBEE-byTWv-yBPodcWhQ560_57.jpg

... sscoyote is dead on!

On any case, if you have the 5 star as you describe, you might have a gem ... I've seen them go for $250ish and up in e-bay and internet sites.

Good luck!

Ed

Thanks guys!
Yes I think it is the 5 star as depicted in the picture, I must have counted wrong.
I will review the information as described and see if I can figure out the proper usage of it.

Thanks for the help, and as stated it is for my nephew, and if he does not like it, may sell it for a Nikon or the like for easy use for him.

MM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.