Redding die set

Mcranch

I purchased a Redding Hunter die set for a 6.5 creedmoor. I proceeded to resize and decal the cases and it left them scored. I have several Redding die sets and never have had any issues. I spoke to Redding and was told to ship the item to them at my cost with fires cases and the would try to polish it out. If that didn't work then they would replace it. Has anyone had these type issues?

Attachments

• F9D395A1-F924-444E-B842-8BBA4AF33B28.jpeg
    F9D395A1-F924-444E-B842-8BBA4AF33B28.jpeg
    874.9 KB · Views: 110
  • A6ABF556-13C8-49BD-8638-6148E827BC1E.jpeg
    A6ABF556-13C8-49BD-8638-6148E827BC1E.jpeg
    816 KB · Views: 103
That's not an unusual finding, at least in my experience. It can occur with any brand die.
If you want, a Dremel with a buffing wheel and some Flitz run inside the lower portion of the die will smooth it out, but it's from the case being resized.

Is Flitz a type of lapping compound? I guess I have never heard of it. How about JB would that be similar?

I guess the die set wasn't caught by quality control? Even RCBS 40 dollar die sets aren't this rough in fact looking at all my dies none are like this. If y'all have come across this type finish then someone isn't doing their job. If you open the the pics up the scoring is well into the cases. I would be not happy If I had used some ADG cases at 90 dollars a case. Thanks.

Is Flitz a type of lapping compound? I guess I have never heard of it. How about JB would that be similar?

I spoke again with Redding and they stated that at times when reaming they have shattering issues. So they are working their reamers to failure it appears. The marring on the brass is a little more than that it is scoring into the metal it will need to be refinished. My purchase was high to begin with now with the shipping costs much more than I expected. Which company has good quality control and good products? The consumer shouldn't gamble on purchases.

Before you send them back, buy a small tube of Flitz, wrap a paper towel around the closest sized nylon bristle brush you have and give them a little polish. It won't take much and you will probably end up polishing all of your dies afterwards.

This reloading/shooting/hunting game isn't the cheapest game in town, but it is the most rewarding.

I spoke again with Redding and they stated that at times when reaming they have shattering issues. So they are working their reamers to failure it appears. The marring on the brass is a little more than that it is scoring into the metal it will need to be refinished. My purchase was high to begin with now with the shipping costs much more than I expected. Which company has good quality control and good products? The consumer shouldn't gamble on purchases.
About 2 weeks ago I received my new 6.5 Grendel Redding full length sizing/S type bushing die and bushings and sized 100 fired cases and didn't have the problem your having.
Darryle had a great point about polishing dies.I have done that many times in the past with Flitz.
Yours may be worse than mine and Redding may decide to replace it to keep a customer happy.
Either way let the forum know what happens as Redding dies are my preferred dies

IMHO that is Redding warranty issue and they should pay for it.
Yes, they said they would make a determination after I send it in. It states on their web on sending in a die set. You have to send in fired cartridges along with item. The concern is that it is at your expense and time for their lack of QC. They said if they can't refinish the item they would then replace. The question is if I start polishing can Redding then say I tampered with the product and caused it to be damaged. Please understand when I utilized the die in placing the case it was more of a feeling of it grinding or rather scraping along the shell case. My concern is that if it has to be reground will the case press down enough to be a full length sizing. Then maybe again Im over thinking the issue. I have 9 die sets and have never come across this issue. RCBS is the smoothest of the finishes but I like the Redding die sets engineering. Also if this was a chattering issue the die should have been pulled. But reading the reviews on Redding the workers state that it is a horrible work environment with bullying by the COO?