Redding Competition Die Sets

BLOODHOUND BRO

Can someone explain the difference between full length sizing vs. neck sizing and then sizing with a body die? Both sets of dies can use their bushing system. Seems to me to be the same process, only there is an extra die and step, yet I've missed more obvious things before. Any advantage to one vs the other?

At the Whidden custom die website they tell you they get the most concentric cases with non-bushing full length dies.

Body die are associated with bumping the shoulder back when necessary when neck sizing only.

I prefer full length resizing with Forster benchrest dies and belong to the rat turd in the violin case club. :D

Y3IiYL5.jpg

Below Germam Salazar is replying to a "partial neck sizing", and with a full length resized case the body of the case has no steering effect on the bullet and gives the bullet "wiggle room" to be self aligning with the bore.

Reloading: Partial Neck Sizing
by German A. Salazar
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2010/06/reloading-partial-neck-sizing.html

"Now the last scenario, a full-length sized case in which the neck is also fully sized. There is clearance at the neck and in the body of the case, the closest fit anywhere is the bullet in the throat. If the neck to bullet concentricity is good (although it needn't be perfect), then the bullet will find good alignment in the throat and the case body and neck will have minimal influence. Let's not forget that the base of the case is supported by the bolt face or the extractor to a certain degree as well; this is yet another influence on alignment. As you can see, there are several points from base to bullet that can have an effect. My procedure is to minimize the influence of those that I can control, namely the case body and neck, and let the alignment be dictated by the fit of the bullet in the throat and to some extent by the bolt's support of the base. Barring a seriously out of square case head, I don't think the bolt can have a negative effect on alignment, only a slightly positive effect from minimizing "case droop" in the chamber. Given that a resized case will usually have a maximum of 0.001" diametrical clearance at the web, this isn't much of a factor anyway."

Can someone explain the difference between full length sizing vs. neck sizing and then sizing with a body die? Both sets of dies can use their bushing system. Seems to me to be the same process, only there is an extra die and step, yet I've missed more obvious things before. Any advantage to one vs the other?

A Body Die is a full length sizing die that does not touch the neck - you can size loaded ammunition with a body die.

Neck sizers just size the neck (sorry, the devil made me say that)... and leave the body the way it was.
Neck sizing will give you the longest case life. After a few loadings, there might be a tight fit of the case in the chamber, which bothers benchrest shooters to no end, but most people don't care, and you can get upwards of 100 loads out of a case.

Full length sizing will shorten the case shoulder to base distance to minimum SAAMI (or shorter), and squish the body diameter back to close to new dimensions.
Like rifle chambers, each FL sizing die is different - some FL size more or less than others.
The proper adjustment of a FL die takes experience and skill, otherwise, you will get head separations in quick order.

BigEd likes his cases loose in the chamber - I like my cases snug in the chamber...

BigEd is funny lookin' too!! ;)

Last edited:
CatShooter

You have no idea how funny "you" look riding to the rescue of devoted neck sizers.

ydx65vv.jpg

Signed
"The rat turd in the violin case promoter"

P.S. Your lucky I like you good buddy........Oops I have to go now, my nose started growing again. :D

CatShooter

You have no idea how funny "you" look riding to the rescue of devoted neck sizers.

ydx65vv.jpg

Signed
"The rat turd in the violin case promoter"

P.S. Your lucky I like you good buddy........Oops I have to go now, my nose started growing again. :D

A fellow over on accurateshooter is SHOCKED that his groups are (much) smaller with neck sized cases, than FL sized cases... after all the "expurts" tell him he has to FL size.

Unexpected Ladder Test Results | Shooters' Forum

Go tell him about the Rat poop test - that'll get him on the right track for sure.

:) :) :)

CatShooter

Don't tell anyone but with reduced loads and just neck sizing my British .303 cases for my Enfield rifles I got over 30 reloads before getting cracked necks.

"BUT" I have to neck size the Enfield rifles because of their over sized chambers and small SAAMI full length dies.

"AND" I get the most concentric cases by full length resizing with Forster benchrest dies.

The debate over full length resizing vs neck sizing will never end, and opinions are like anus orfaces.....................*everyone has one.

*Except for the really grumpy mean people in reloading forums who can't poop. :rolleyes:

And have a nice evening CatShooter.

The difference in dies between the Redding FL "S" Type and the Competition Neck die is not just one sizes the neck and the other does not. The Comp neck dies has the retractable sleeve that captures the case and brings it into the die true while doing the work. I find this helps me keep TIR to a very consistent minimum.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.