Recommended chamber reamer for 300WM & premium factory hunting ammo??

The consistently higher quality reamers come from JGS. Not my opinion. I have photographic proof. PT&G will certainly work but will need a little more polishing and a slight break in to get what JGS gets you right off the reamer. JGS also cost a third to 50% more.

Let your gunsmith choose which tool! Ever head "Too many cooks spoiled the stew"?

+1 Good advice.

I, like most have my favorite reamer maker. Nothing to do with price or wear, I just like the way they cut. (There is a difference).

I have also had very good wear performance on all of my reamers and have over a dozen chambers on several reamers and they will still cut you if you are not careful cleaning them.

I use Manson, PT&G , Clymer and have not used a JGS reamer (I will have to try one and see if I like it)So I can't rate them.

I don't believe in polishing a chamber and rely on the reamer to leave a perfect finish.

I also don't rent reamers because I don't know how well they have been treated or abused.
Shipping and rental fees can go a long way towards a new reamer that will give you a better chamber. This is not the place to save a few bucks.

J E CUSTOM

The consistently higher quality reamers come from JGS. Not my opinion. I have photographic proof. PT&G will certainly work but will need a little more polishing and a slight break in to get what JGS gets you right off the reamer. JGS also cost a third to 50% more.

What is better about a JGS reamer? I'm getting ready to order a custom reamer and I'm not partial to any brand. I don't mind paying more for a better product.

To start with JGS has a staggered flute arraignment to prevent chatter. PTG are evenly spaced. JGS are finished to a much higher tolerance as shown in the pictures. PTG then the JGS. These are taken of the throating part of the reamer but the finish follows the full length of the reamer. Under magnification these ridges show up right in the throats where there isn't much you can do about it other than shoot it to break it in. In the body a little 320 or 400 will clean them up where the JGS doesn't need anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.