Recommendation on video cameras

300whinny

Gus

I would like to start capturing some footage of long range work.

What camera are you guys using?

I am looking at a small HDD camera with large optical zoom, around the 35X to 40X.

How do you guys find using them out in the field? By yourself it would be interesting, lining the camera up, and taking the shot!

Anyway, any help would be great!

Cheers

I'm running a cannon dc50 with 10x optical. I built a bracket to mount my camera so it looks straight through my spotting scope. The eyepiece is the key ingredient. The regular spotting scope eyepieces won't work. You don't need thousands of dollars in high tech video equipment, just the right kind. You can see what kind of results I'm getting on the video library page "Long Range Varmint Hunting". You will get some vignetting depending on what X you zoom your camera too but I can control most of it. I'll be posting some new footage from this year soon and maybe a presentation on how I do it. Good luck filming, I've been filming long range now for close to 5 years and still haven't worked out al the bugs.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts