Recommend the Best but Also Least Expensive Spotting Scope

Dean2

If you have lots of money to spend, buying good optics is pretty easy. However, if your max budget is $300, what would you guys pick as the best spotting scope. Something capable of seeing bullet holes at 400 yards for range use, but still compact and light enough to take on hunts until you could afford better gear. Not interested in save more, buy once, cry once or any of that type of advice. Looking for thoughts on decent resolution, reasonable size/weight and the cheaper the better. Thanks.

There is no feature options for $300.

Go find and Vortex Diamondback, or something like that, and go for it. The feature options is the price. Yes, it will probably work at 400y.

You can't really come in being picky with a $300 budget and expect it to be better or have special value performance end features or be even cheaper than your specified budget. We all wished it was so, but it's not how optics work.

@gr8fuldoug might have some suggestions for you. CameralandNY are site sponsors and have great prices & customer service. He often knows which product will give you the most bang for your buck. Athlon? GPO? Curious what he'll recommend.
That is helpful. Simple Google search show lots of options, some as low as $95 for 15-45 with tripod. The issue is finding anyone who has used an Athlon, SVBonny, etc in those cheap models. Most guys are like me, we use high end gear like Lieca, Swaro and Kowa, so have no direct personal epxerience with truly budget level stuff.

That is helpful. Simple Google search show lots of options, some as low as $95 for 15-45 with tripod. The issue is finding anyone who has used an Athlon, SVBonny, etc in those cheap models. Most guys are like me, we use high end gear like Lieca, Swaro and Kowa, so have no direct personal epxerience with truly budget level stuff.
I think a lot of us do, because that's how optics were in the 80s, 90s etc.

They don't work well to see small things far and surely there's not a lot of options to choose from in terms of special features.

A monkey can go on google, Amazon and give a list of cheap spotters. That doesn't mean they perform well to 400y. Attached is a picture of a Athlon. It's a $800 model and pretty much tops out 1500y. This is an example of a good value, and that some of us have different levels of spotting scopes.

Above that is a vanguard endeavor, which is about a 500y spotting scope. These perform much better than a $60 Simmons. The cheaper one the Doug sells is a Konus. You can see what that looks like here. Again, a black target trying to see bullet holes at 400? Idk…less risky to go with a Athlon or vortex Diamondback, which are probably coming from the same factory.

Attachments

• IMG_2572.jpeg
    IMG_2572.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60mm is on sale at midway right now for $250.
33oz
14" long

Camera lands sale will be worth looking at as well.

Before you spend even your $300 I would recommend you try and look through them at a store, especially at low light. You'd be surprised. I am probably in the minority, if not the only one, but I would not buy another Vortex. They have great warranty and customer service, just their glass and my eyes don't match. Always match the glass to your eyes.

Something that should be asked, is what are your realistic expectations of the spotter?

Seeing a 308 bullet hole at 400 yards on a white target isn't that hard.
Seeing a 223 bullet hole at 400 yards on any color but white, is much harder!
Add in mirage, and it only goes downhill from there.

One guy I shoot with has a super nice Zeiss spotter that ran him about $2,700.
But he is not much better off seeing my 223 holes at 400 yards through the mirage on an off color target than I am with my $129 Celestron Mini Mak 70.

On the plus side for the Mini Mak, it was inexpensive.
Is super light weight for a spotter!
Accepts standard telescope eyepieces.
I got the accessory pack from Celestron also (about another $100) which has different colored filters also.
These are a huge help for different weather conditions!

Maybe too late to the party, but I am in OP's boat regarding budget for optics usually. I ended up with a used Athlon Argos 20-60x85 for $250 and for the most part have been happy with it. Mirage is the only thing that's been bad but as has been said, even good scopes don't deal with mirage well.

I've used it for spotting impacts on rocks or dirt splashes out to 1500, spotting bear from 1100 and in, and spotting bullet holes to 350 on a shoot n c target. My only bad experience was a 98 degree day and I couldn't spot big bullet holes (338) in a white paper target at 200. So I decided it was too hot anyways and went home.

When I was looking at the bear at 1100, it was side by side with a Vortex Razor 27-60 and there wasn't any clarity difference. Granted, it was in full daylight with no mirage. So I can't tell you how it performs side by side under less than ideal conditions.

I was at Nightforce Steel challenge and looked through a kids Athlon Talos and could not believe how good it was, like it seemed almost as clear as my Ares. I would not be disappointed in that for the price of them.

One of the best buys is the Athlon Argos 20-60x85 HD Spotter which is on sale for only $299.99
  • Phase Coated Porro Prism: Phase Coated Porro prisms reflect great mount of lights to your eyes which will give you bright image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated Lenses: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses bring you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Nitrogen Purged: Nitrogen Purging uses the inertia gas to purge moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability.
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater.
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation.

Recent Posts