Recommend barrel lenght?

TC should be able to tell you what it was sold at via the serial #....

Your free to flirt with the feds....I for one am not down to jeopardize my freedom and way of life over $200 or an email to TC to verify.

Nice try atf… 😂😂😂
IMG_9720.jpeg
IMG_9721.jpeg

That letter from the ATF says possession of a stock and a barrel under 16" does not equate to possession of a short barreled rifle. It essentially kills the idea of constructive possession in some circumstances. It doesn't say anything that could imply converting an Encore or similar firearm originally assembled as a rifle to a pistol is legal without registration.

In the NFA a short barreled rifle is defined as a rifle with a barrel under 16", or a weapon made from a rifle if that weapon has a barrel under 16" or an OAL under 26".

crazymonkey's Encore was originally assembled as a rifle. Cutting the barrel to less than 16" or reducing the OAL to less than 26" would turn it into an SBR.

The letter you link explicitly address this:

"Nonetheless, if a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length is assembled or otherwise produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle, such a weapon is a "weapon
made from a rifle" as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4). Such a weapon would not be a "pistol" because the weapon was not originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile by one hand"

"Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle. Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA."

Back to the original "Barrel Length" question. It will apply to other builds.

If you plan to hunt with it, check with your State Fish & Game for Handgun Barrel Length requirements. Also check the requirements of any other States you might plan to hunt in. In Missouri (For Alternative Season Deer Hunting) a handgun has a barrel length of less than 16" "excluding" any Removable Barrel Attachments such as a Brake, and an Over All Length not to exceed 26". I do not go over 15.875 Inches on my hunting handgun barrels.

Bob R